A good physics book besides Giancoli?

In summary, the three volume set "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" is a good way to gain a fundamental understanding of physics. It is not mathematically emphasized, though, so you will need to develop your own intuition for the concepts.
Kwally3
Hey!
I'm a junior in high school who's curious and determined to figure and (and retain the knowledge afterwards) how the world works. I'm enrolled in AP physics (i think it was B) but i don't really like how things are explained in our Giancoli book. By no means is it a bad book but I think he focuses too much emphasis on algebraic proofs than explanations (i don't think memorizing formulas is a good way to understanding physics). So what are your recommendations? I'm taking calculus A right now and am proficient in that course.

is conceptual physics by Hewitt any good? I only have enough money to buy 1 book right now. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Most introductory physics books are about the same. Therefore, in my experience, if you do not like one, you do not like any of them.

Try:

The Feynman Lectures on Physics(unfortunately, about $200)

Walter Lewin's Youtube Lectures

and

http://physics.nmt.edu/~raymond/teaching.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Well after a quick amazon search, i found used copies of the 3 volume set running from 60 dollars--paperback though. The reviewers all essentially say it's magical and I'm quite gravitated to buying them. However, how does feynman go about relaying his knowledge (uses extensive algebra? build on the concepts then explain how they are applied in the world?) and what prerequisites would i need to decipher them?

Kwally3 said:
Well after a quick amazon search, i found used copies of the 3 volume set running from 60 dollars--paperback though. The reviewers all essentially say it's magical and I'm quite gravitated to buying them. However, how does feynman go about relaying his knowledge (uses extensive algebra? build on the concepts then explain how they are applied in the world?) and what prerequisites would i need to decipher them?

Feynman uses intuition and philosophy, it is not very mathematically emphasized. It would let you "understand" physics.

Pinu7 said:
Feynman uses intuition and philosophy. . .

there's philosophy in physics??
I'm now super hyped. Unless no one else suggests anything by this afternoon, I'm going to purchase them.
When you say it's not mathematically emphasized, do you mean he provides you with the knowledge to derive formulas yourself?
And, just to suppress a side thought, it's definitely not one of those books that you have a great time reading but have no idea how
to apply the knowledge afterwards right?

1. What is the best physics book for beginners?

The best physics book for beginners is "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday and Resnick. It provides a solid foundation for understanding basic concepts in physics and is written in a clear and accessible manner.

2. Which physics book covers both theory and practical applications?

"University Physics" by Young and Freedman is a comprehensive textbook that covers both theory and practical applications of physics. It includes numerous examples and exercises to help students apply their knowledge.

3. What is a good physics book for self-study?

"Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma is a popular choice for self-study. It presents concepts in a logical and organized manner, making it easier for self-learners to understand and follow along.

4. Is there a physics book that focuses on problem-solving techniques?

"Solved Problems in Physics" by Schaum's Outlines is a helpful resource for those looking to improve their problem-solving skills in physics. It contains over 2,000 solved problems with clear explanations and step-by-step solutions.

5. What is a good supplementary physics book to use alongside a textbook?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman is a popular supplementary text that offers a more conceptual and intuitive approach to understanding physics. It covers a wide range of topics and includes insightful lectures from the renowned physicist himself.