Finding Position and Velocity Using Rectilinear Kinematics Equations

• Thread starter rmunoz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
You integrated a(6 s) to get v(6 s). It's the same thing here.Is it legal to take the integral of 32m/s as the velocity with respect to time ?I'm sorry, I momentarily thought that 32 m/s was the correct answer. It is not. What you need to do is plug in the correct expression for v(t) and integrate. Think about what you need to do in order to integrate a(t).
rmunoz

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is described by the following:
a=(2t -1) m/s^2
So= 1m
Vo= 2m/s

Find
a) velocity of the particle at 6 seconds

b) its position (Sf) at six seconds

Homework Equations

v=ds/dt
a=dv/dt
a*ds=v*dv

The Attempt at a Solution

Using integration I found velocity to be 32 m/s, (dv=apartdt)

Now I'm stuck on part b and since i have yet to learn how to take a double integral to directly relate the acceleration of the particle to its position, I assume it must have something to do with avg velocity or avg acceleration... nonetheless I am stuck on part b and have been for quite some time.

Physics news on Phys.org
rmunoz said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using integration I found velocity to be 32 m/s, (dv=apartdt)

Your answer is not correct, and the part you have in parentheses seems to be meaningless. Can you show your integration steps?

Edit: Actually your answer is fine. Nevermind.
rmunoz said:
Now I'm stuck on part b and since i have yet to learn how to take a double integral to directly relate the acceleration of the particle to its position,
Not really. This is only a "double integral" in the sense that you have to integrate twice in succession. (In mathematics, a double integral actually means something else entirely that is not relevant here). To see why you have to integrate twice, consider the following argument. If:

[tex] v(t) = \frac{ds(t)}{dt} [/tex]

then

[tex] a(t) = \frac{dv(t)}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{ds(t)}{dt} \right) = \frac{d^2s(t)}{dt^2} [/tex]So acceleration is the second derivative of position (w.r.t. time). In order to calculate the acceleration as function of time, you must differentiate the position function twice. It follows that, since integration is the inverse operation of differentiation, then to go back to position from acceleration, you would have to integrate twice. A more explicit way of showing this would be:

[tex] \frac{dv(t)}{dt} = a(t) \Rightarrow v(t) = \int a(t) \, dt [/tex]

[tex] \frac{ds(t)}{dt} = v(t) \Rightarrow s(t) = \int v(t) \, dt = \int \left(\int a(t) \, dt \right) \, dt [/tex]

rmunoz said:
I assume it must have something to do with avg velocity or avg acceleration... nonetheless I am stuck on part b and have been for quite some time.

Why would you think that?

Last edited:
i understand that the dv= a(t)dt can be integrated to acquire
v(t)= [tex]\int[/tex]a(t) dt

However this produces 32 m/s if taken definitely (with 6 and 0 upper and lower limits respectively)... to integrate this again seems unusual since it is a constant (it almost seems to disregard the fact that v is variable with respect to time). This i guess is where i became confused. Is it legal to take the integral of 32m/s as the velocity with respect to time ?

rmunoz said:
to integrate this again seems unusual since it is a constant (it almost seems to disregard the fact that v is variable with respect to time).

No no...you integrate the function v(t) to get s(t). That's the definition. You don't integrate v(6 s)! You integrate v(t) to get s(t) and then find the position you want by evaluating the resulting position function there (i.e. you calculate s(6 s)). This is no different from what you did to find the velocity at that time in part a!

What is rectilinear kinematics?

Rectilinear kinematics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects in a straight line. It involves the study of position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in a straight line without taking into account the forces that cause the motion.

What are the basic equations used in rectilinear kinematics?

The basic equations used in rectilinear kinematics are the equations of motion: v = u + at, s = ut + 1/2at^2, and v^2 = u^2 + 2as. These equations relate an object's initial velocity (u), final velocity (v), acceleration (a), and displacement (s).

How is rectilinear kinematics different from other types of kinematics?

Rectilinear kinematics is different from other types of kinematics, such as curvilinear and rotational kinematics, because it only deals with motion in a straight line. Curvilinear kinematics involves motion along a curved path, while rotational kinematics deals with motion of objects around a fixed axis.

What are some real-world applications of rectilinear kinematics?

Some real-world applications of rectilinear kinematics include motion of objects falling under gravity, motion of vehicles on a straight road, and motion of projectiles. It is also used in industries to design and analyze the performance of machines and equipment that move in a straight line.

How can I use rectilinear kinematics to solve problems?

In order to solve problems using rectilinear kinematics, you will need to identify the given variables, such as initial and final positions, velocities, and accelerations. Then, you can use the equations of motion to find the unknown variables. It is important to pay attention to the units of measurement and use the correct formula for the given problem.