S11 (scattering parameter 11) of a Resonator?

In summary, it is possible to use S-parameters to model a device with a shorted and partially transmitting grid. This is the usual method for describing and measuring such devices. However, it is important to keep track of where the load is placed when measuring S11. It is recommended to refer to Pozar's book on microwave engineering for further understanding of this concept.
H_man
If my resonator is shorted at one end and has a partially transmitting grid at the other end is it correct to use S and T parameters to build a model of the device?

I ask this as the first few sentences of the Wikipedia article on S-parameters states that a matched load should be placed at Port 2 to measure S11 of the first port (as opposed to either an open circuit or a short). But I have a short in place of Port 2 as opposed to a matched load.

I want to model it in terms of S-parameters so I can later cascade it with other devices.

Anyone studied this before?? I am just getting into this..

Thanks,
Harry

Science news on Phys.org
Yes, you can use scattering parameters. This is, in fact, how these devices are usually described and measured.
The wiki probably refers to the fact that you need to keep track of where you place the load if you want to measure S11 of a general two-port and is only interested in the effect of one of those ports.

Also, buy yourself a copy of Pozar's book on microwave engineering.

Thanks again!

(and yes... I'll get myself a copy of the book :smile: )

What is S11 of a Resonator?

S11 of a resonator is a measure of how much energy is reflected from a resonator when a signal is applied to it. It is represented as a complex number and is commonly used in the analysis and design of microwave circuits.

How is S11 calculated?

S11 is calculated by measuring the voltage reflection coefficient at the input of a resonator. This is done by applying a signal to the input and measuring both the incident and reflected signals. S11 is then derived using the ratio of these two signals.

What information does S11 provide about a Resonator?

S11 provides information about the impedance of the resonator at a specific frequency. It can also be used to determine the resonant frequency, bandwidth, and quality factor of a resonator.

What is a good S11 value for a Resonator?

A good S11 value for a resonator depends on the specific application and design requirements. In general, a lower S11 value indicates a better match between the resonator and the input signal, which results in less energy being reflected and better overall performance.

How does S11 affect the performance of a Resonator?

S11 can affect the performance of a resonator in several ways. A high S11 value can result in a mismatch between the resonator and the input signal, causing energy to be reflected back and potentially causing signal distortion. This can impact the resonator's ability to efficiently transmit or receive signals. On the other hand, a low S11 value indicates a good match and can improve the overall performance of the resonator.