Need a household oxidizer easy to get.

• Thread starter Lok
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding an oxidizer for DIY bluing. Suggestions include using matchheads containing KClO3 or Oxiclean (sodium percarbonate), but caution is advised as it may be unstable when dissolved. Other options could be found in cleaning products. The person has previously used fertilizer but is currently low on supply.
Lok
All I need is an oxidizer, for a bit of DIY bluing. It requires water an oxidizer, a base (soap is best :P), and 100'C or more.

All I can think of till now is matchheads which contain quite a bit of KClO3 which might work. As it can be separated by dissloving it in water.
Anybody know of anything else.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Might Oxiclean (sodium percarbonate) work? It's a bit unstable when dissolved, though. You'd have to heat the solution before adding it.

Yup. Need to read a few labels from the cleaning cabinet.
I've already done it with fertilizer, but am of short supply right now, for a few weeks.

1. What is a household oxidizer?

A household oxidizer is a substance that can react with other materials and cause them to lose electrons, resulting in the release of energy. It is commonly used in household cleaning products, as well as in some types of fertilizers and pool chemicals.

2. Why do I need a household oxidizer?

Household oxidizers are often used to clean and disinfect surfaces, as well as to remove stains and odors. They can also be used to enhance the effectiveness of other cleaning products, such as laundry detergents.

3. What are some common household oxidizers?

Some common household oxidizers include bleach, hydrogen peroxide, and ammonia. Other examples include chlorine, sodium hypochlorite, and potassium permanganate.

4. Are household oxidizers safe to use?

Household oxidizers can be safe to use when handled and stored properly. However, some can be toxic or corrosive and may require caution when using. It is important to always follow the instructions and safety precautions provided by the manufacturer.

5. Where can I find a household oxidizer?

Household oxidizers can be found in most grocery stores, hardware stores, and online retailers. They are often sold in the cleaning or laundry aisle and may be labeled as oxidizing agents or bleach alternatives.