Cross Product and Triple Scalar Product

In summary, when working with sums, indices, and other operations, it is important to understand the concepts thoroughly in order to make the rest of the course smoother. While your approach to the triple scalar product may differ from that taught in class, as long as your understanding is solid, you should be able to arrive at the correct solution.
Shackleford
This isn't homework, but I worked this out to become more fluent with expressing these operations using sums, indices, etc. This is from my Vector Analysis course, and the professor said understanding this would make the rest of the course smooth sailing if I get all these concepts down.

I'm fairly confident on A X B since I checked it with my notes from class.

However, for the triple scalar product, in our notes we started with b-sub j and c-sub k. I started with b-sub i and c-sub j, so the order of my indices were different. I also worked out the operations separately then combined them at the end. In class, we wrote everything out all at once. I get the feeling that's the better way to do it. Thanks for any help.

2p2.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
A X B = a-subi b-subj εij Triple Scalar Product = a-subi b-subj c-subk εijkYour approach to the triple scalar product is correct, though it is generally easier to see the pattern if you start with b-sub j and c-sub k. You can still express the operation in one line, as follows:a-subi b-subj c-subk εijk = a-subi (b-subj c-subk εijk)

1. What is the difference between cross product and triple scalar product?

The main difference between cross product and triple scalar product is the number of vectors involved. Cross product involves the multiplication of two vectors to produce a new vector, while triple scalar product involves the multiplication of three vectors to produce a scalar value.

2. How do you calculate the cross product of two vectors?

The cross product of two vectors, A and B, can be calculated by taking the determinant of the following matrix:
i j k
ax ay az
bx by bz
Where i, j, and k are unit vectors in the x, y, and z directions, and ax, ay, az and bx, by, bz are the components of vectors A and B respectively. The resulting vector is perpendicular to both A and B.

3. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product of two vectors has a geometric interpretation as the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. The direction of the resulting vector is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two vectors, and its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

4. What is the significance of the triple scalar product in physics?

The triple scalar product has many applications in physics, including calculating the moment of force, determining the orientation of a plane in space, and finding the volume of a parallelepiped. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic fields and fluid mechanics.

5. Can the cross product and triple scalar product be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, both the cross product and triple scalar product can be extended to higher dimensions. In 4D, the cross product produces a new vector perpendicular to both of the original vectors and the resulting vector. In higher dimensions, the triple scalar product involves the multiplication of more than three vectors, resulting in a scalar value.