How Does Euler's Formula Apply to e^(-2i*theta)?

In summary, Hannah attempted to derive 2sin^2(theta) = 1-cos(2theta) from euler's relationship, but was unsuccessful. She then found the answer by using -θ instead of θ and cos(-θ)= cos(θ), sin(-θ)= -sin(θ). Finally, she thanked the helpers for their help.
Emc2brain
Help! Euler's Relationship!

if e^(i*theta) = cos(theta) + i*sin(theta)

then what is e^(-2i*theta) = ?

I attempted to derive this and got the following for the +2i:
e^(+2*theta) = cos(2*theta) + 2i*cos(theta)sin(theta)

Not even sure if this may be correct, but I believe the answer to my question with negative 2 (-2i) must be simple... Help please, thanx.

Because I am attempting to derive 2sin^2(theta) = 1-cos(2theta) from euler's relationship: e^(i*theta) = cos(theta) + i*sin(theta)

Hannah
:blushing:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Euler's relation is that

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x)[/tex]

where x can be anything at all. In your example, x would be [itex]-2 \theta[/itex], so plug it in:

[tex]e^{-2 i \theta} = \cos(-2 \theta) + i \sin(-2 \theta)[/tex]

- Warren

Thanks, that helps!

Just solved it, after 45 minutes... :frown:

chroot said:
Euler's relation is that

[tex]e^{ix} = \cos(x) + i \sin(x)[/tex]

where x can be anything at all. In your example, x would be [itex]-2 \theta[/itex], so plug it in:

[tex]e^{-2 i \theta} = \cos(-2 \theta) + i \sin(-2 \theta)[/tex]

- Warren
And [itex]e^{-2i\theta}[/tex] is also [itex]\left(e^{-i\theta}\right)^2[/itex] which gives [itex]\cos^2\theta-\sin^2\theta-2i\sin\theta\cos\theta[/itex]. :smile:

Since you arrived at e^(+2*theta) = cos(2*theta) + 2i*cos(theta)sin(theta)
I'm surprised you could continue: using -θ instead of θ just replaces θ with -θ and cos(-θ)= cos(θ), sin(-θ)= -sin(θ).

Also, since you clearly replaced sin(2θ) with 2sin(θ)cos(&theta), why not also replace cos(2&theta) with cos2(θ)- sin2(θ)?

Putting those together, [tex]e^{-2\theta}= cos(-2\theta)+ i sin(-2\theta)[/tex]
[tex]= cos^2(-\theta)- sin^2(-\theta)+ 2i sin(-\theta)cos(-\theta)[/tex]
[tex]= cos^(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)- 2i sin(\theta)cos(\theta)[/tex],
exactly what Tide got by squaring.

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS... you've all been too helpful :blushing:

Hannah

Hello there helpful bunch! ;)

How are you guys able to write out the equations?? Because I tried to copy and past them into this email however it simply would not do that...Thanx for all the assistance!

What is Euler's relationship?

Euler's relationship, also known as Euler's formula or Euler's identity, is a fundamental mathematical equation that relates the exponential function, trigonometric functions, and imaginary numbers. It is written as e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and x is any real number.

Who discovered Euler's relationship?

Euler's relationship was discovered by the Swiss mathematician, physicist, and engineer Leonhard Euler in the 18th century. He is considered to be one of the greatest mathematicians in history and made significant contributions to various fields of mathematics, including calculus, number theory, and graph theory.

What is the significance of Euler's relationship?

Euler's relationship is significant because it provides a deep and elegant connection between three seemingly unrelated mathematical concepts: exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and imaginary numbers. It is also used extensively in complex analysis and has practical applications in physics, engineering, and signal processing.

How is Euler's relationship derived?

Euler's relationship can be derived using Taylor series expansions and properties of complex numbers. Starting with the Taylor series for the exponential function and sine and cosine functions, and using the fact that i^2 = -1, one can arrive at the formula e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). The full derivation is quite involved and requires knowledge of calculus and complex analysis.

Can Euler's relationship be extended to other functions?

Yes, Euler's relationship can be extended to include other functions, such as hyperbolic functions and inverse trigonometric functions. These extensions are known as generalized Euler's formulas and can be derived using similar techniques. Other generalizations, such as Euler's product formula and Euler's reflection formula, also exist and have important applications in mathematics and engineering.