Mappings on partitive sets

• Thread starter radou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the number of continuous and open mappings between the discrete topological spaces (X, P(X)) and (Y, P(Y)). It is determined that there are 81 possible mappings, and it is also questioned whether the identity mapping f(x) = x is continuous and a homeomorphism. However, there is some confusion regarding the mapping of 4 since it is not an element of Y. A correction is made to the initial answer, which was based on the number of 3rd class variations with repetition.
radou
Homework Helper
Another problem whose answer I'd like to check. Thanks in advance.

Let X = {1, 2, 3, 4} and Y = {1, 2, 3}. Let P(X) and P(Y) be the power sets of X and Y, respectively.

i) How many continuous mappings are there from the discrete topological spaces (X, P(X)) to (Y, P(Y))?

Well, I figured that every mapping we can define between these topologies is open, since for any open set in Y (i.e. any power set), the preimage must again be a power set in X, so the total number would be [itex]\sum_{i = 1}^3 \frac{3!}{i!}[/itex].

ii) How many open mappings are there?

The same answer.

iii) Is the identity mapping f(x) = x continuous, and if so, is it a homeomorphism?

Here I'm a bit confused, since we can't map 4 to 4, since 4 is not an element of Y. Shouldn't all the elements of the domain X be mapped into some element of Y?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just a second, I found an error in i) and ii), will review and post a bit later.

A correction of my answer to i) and ii) - the number would be the number of 4-th class variations of 3 elements with repetition, i.e. n = 3^4 = 81.

1. What are mappings on partitive sets?

Mappings on partitive sets refer to the relationship between two sets, where each element in the first set is associated with one or more elements in the second set. This relationship is represented by a function or mapping, which maps each element in the first set to its corresponding elements in the second set.

2. How are mappings on partitive sets different from mappings on other types of sets?

The main difference between mappings on partitive sets and other types of sets is that in partitive sets, there can be multiple elements in the second set that are associated with one element in the first set. In other types of sets, such as one-to-one mappings, each element in the first set is only associated with one element in the second set.

3. What are the applications of mappings on partitive sets in science?

Mappings on partitive sets have various applications in science, including in genetics, epidemiology, and ecology. In genetics, for example, mapping gene expressions to different traits can help identify patterns and relationships between genes and traits. In epidemiology, mapping disease outbreaks to different variables, such as location or demographic, can help identify risk factors and patterns of transmission. In ecology, mapping species distributions to environmental factors can help understand species interactions and environmental impacts on biodiversity.

4. How are mappings on partitive sets useful in data analysis?

Mappings on partitive sets can be useful in data analysis by providing a way to organize and analyze data by relationships between different variables. This can help identify patterns and trends in the data, and can also be used in predictive modeling.

5. Can mappings on partitive sets be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, mappings on partitive sets can be used in various fields besides science, such as in mathematics, computer science, and business. In mathematics, mappings on partitive sets are used in set theory and graph theory. In computer science, they are used in data structures and algorithms. In business, they can be used for market segmentation and data analysis.