Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in physics that involves finding the time taken for light to travel in air and inside a fiber. They were able to solve parts a and b, but are struggling with part c. The conversation also mentions using geometry and the refractive index of glass to solve the problem. Suggestions and hints are given, and it is implied that the person should be able to solve the problem with some critical thinking.
topsaa
question1.png

I got this question in a practice midterm and i can't seem to even start this problem, i tried using my textbook (university physics) and nothing to be found in there either.

Does anyone know start this problem?

thanks
so we were able to to get part a and b.

on part c we were able to get the time taken for light to travel in air but what would be the difference of the light traveling inside the fiber? does it slow down?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
a) From the geometry you can also get the number of times it bounces in terms of N - just work out the length of one bounce in 'n' and angle.

The triangle shown on the diagram will help you to calculate the length of the 'long route' compared with the 'direct route'. Hint: you can ignore the multiple reflections - just assume the fibre is as broad as you want and work it out for one huge triangle! The distances involved will be the same.
The refractive index of the glass tells you the ratio of speed in air and in the fibre.
There's loads in every textbook about critical angle and how to find it from the refractive index.
I don't think you should need any more help. Get your thinking cap on.

1. What is the format of the "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C"?

The format of the "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C" can vary depending on the specific question being asked. It could be a multiple choice question, a calculation-based question, or a conceptual question. It is best to review the instructions for the exam to determine the format of Part C.

2. How should I prepare for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C"?

Preparing for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C" involves reviewing the material covered in class, practicing similar types of questions, and seeking help from a teacher or tutor if needed. It is also important to get a good night's rest and eat a healthy breakfast on the day of the exam.

3. Are there any specific equations or concepts I should focus on for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C"?

The specific equations and concepts you should focus on for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C" will depend on the material covered in class and the specific question being asked. It is important to review all of the material and understand the key equations and concepts in order to be prepared for any type of question.

4. How much time should I allocate for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C"?

The amount of time you should allocate for "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C" will depend on the length and difficulty of the question. It is important to read the question carefully and allocate enough time to fully answer it. It is also helpful to set a timer or check the time periodically to ensure you are staying on track.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about the answer to "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C"?

If you are unsure about the answer to "Help With Physics Midterm Question: Part C", it is best to show your work and explain your reasoning as much as possible. This will show your understanding of the concepts and may earn partial credit. It is also helpful to use any available resources, such as a formula sheet or textbook, to check your work and verify your answer.