What is the method for calculating atomic mass from isotopes?

In summary, the person is asking for help with calculating the atomic mass and is requesting a quick answer. They are advised to be patient and wait for assistance. The responder suggests looking up how to do a weighted average to solve the problem.
neon1234
hi i was wondering if anybody could help me? for calculating if there's a missing part how do i solve it ? i have a picture ... how would i figure out the third part ..?

Attachments

• aim5.h6.jpgxfghjkl;'.jpg
    aim5.h6.jpgxfghjkl;'.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 526
Chemistry news on Phys.org
answer quick please :confused:

Hi Friend,

When you are looking for help on these boards please be patient and wait for someone to assist you.

As for your question on how to calculate the atomic mass, in order to find the atomic mass of an element you must take the weighted average of its isotopes (based on percent abundance). You can take a look at how to do a weighted average from wikipedia or google it.

Last edited:

1. What is atomic mass and why is it important?

Atomic mass is the average mass of an atom of a specific element, taking into account all of its isotopes. It is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of elements, and it is used in determining the chemical composition of substances.

2. How is atomic mass calculated?

Atomic mass is calculated by taking the weighted average of the masses of all the isotopes of an element. This involves multiplying the mass of each isotope by its relative abundance (percentage of occurrence) and then adding all of these values together.

3. What unit is used to measure atomic mass?

Atomic mass is typically measured in atomic mass units (amu) or unified atomic mass units (u). Both units are equal to 1/12 of the mass of a carbon-12 atom.

4. Why are atomic masses not whole numbers?

Atomic masses are not whole numbers because they take into account the existence of isotopes, which have different masses due to varying numbers of neutrons. Since different isotopes occur in different proportions, the atomic mass is an average value.

5. How does the atomic mass relate to the periodic table?

The atomic mass of an element is typically found listed below the element's symbol on the periodic table. It is used to organize elements in order of increasing mass, with elements in the same column having similar properties due to their similar atomic structures.