Dipoles, Quadrupoles, Octopoles, and higher multipoles

• Thread starter FaNgS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dipoles
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of intermolecular forces and statistical mechanics to determine thermodynamic properties of pure components or mixtures. The question posed is how to determine which multipole a molecule has, such as the example of CO2 having a quadrupole and HCl having a dipole. The answer explains that in general, every molecule will have multiple multipoles, with the lowest non-zero term being the most important. It also states that for linearly symmetric molecules like CO2, the important term is the quadrupole, while for molecules with a dipole moment like HCl, the dipole term is most important. For other configurations, all multipoles can exist with the higher order terms being less important
FaNgS
I'm taking an advanced thermodynamics course (its a pain!) anyways, we're studying intermolecular forces and how based on these forces, we can determine thermodynamic properties of pure components or mixtures, by linking them with statistical mechanics.

my question is, how do you determine which multipole does a molecule have?

i know that CO2 for example has a quadrupole and HCl has a dipole

what about other structures, for example diisopropylether ?

how would one determine?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In general multipoles are approximations for the actual case. I.e. if you take an interaction (e.g. electromagnetic) you can expand the force of the interaction in terms of increasing powers of the separation---poles. The 'monopole' term goes like 1/r, and generally represents something like the total charge (for E&M), next would be the dipole term ([tex]1/r^2[/tex]) etc etc. In general the lowest order non-zero term will be the most important.

CO2 Has no dipole term because it is linearly symmetric: the classical dipole moment would be zero. Thus the important term is the next higher term----the quadrupole. HCl on the other hand, has a dipole moment. etc etc

For an arbitrary configuration (e.g. molecule) every multipole will exist, with the higher order terms being less and less important.
Does that help at all?

zhermes, thanks but not much help there :(

I understand that the force or the potential energy of the molecule is dependant on the separation distance r and it varies with r raised to a power which can be anything from 1, 2 or even 6 (depending on the type of multipole present or induced dipole etc)

but i still can't make sense of how to determine the type of multipole present in a molecule.

for instance i found out in my last class that diisopropylether has a quadrupole but how?!

1. What are dipoles, quadrupoles, octopoles, and higher multipoles?

Dipoles, quadrupoles, octopoles, and higher multipoles are terms used in electromagnetism to describe the arrangement and distribution of electric charges. They refer to the different moments of the electric field, with dipoles being the simplest and higher multipoles being more complex arrangements of electric charges.

2. How do dipoles, quadrupoles, octopoles, and higher multipoles affect electric fields?

Dipoles, quadrupoles, octopoles, and higher multipoles can affect electric fields in different ways depending on their orientation and magnitude. They can either enhance or weaken the electric field, and can also create complex patterns of electric field lines.

3. What is the difference between a dipole and a quadrupole?

The main difference between a dipole and a quadrupole is the arrangement of electric charges. A dipole consists of two equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance, while a quadrupole has four charges of alternating polarity arranged in a specific pattern.

4. How are higher multipoles created?

Higher multipoles can be created through the arrangement and combination of dipoles and quadrupoles. They can also be created by the movement of charges or through the interactions between multiple electric fields.

5. What are some practical applications of higher multipoles?

Higher multipoles have various practical applications in fields such as optics, material science, and particle physics. They are used to manipulate and control electric fields, and can also be used in technologies such as MRI machines and particle accelerators.