Solving a Physics Homework Problem: Work, Distance, & Normal Force

In summary, a compressed spring is released and pushes a block along a frictionless path, passing over a small area of friction before entering a loop-the-loop and then continuing on a frictionless path towards a 90 degree arc. The work done by friction can be found by combining the friction force equation and the equation for work. The distance the spring was compressed can be found using conservation of energy and the potential energy at height y. To find the normal force at the top of the loop, kinetic energy can be converted to linear velocity and then solved for using the equation for centripetal force.
funnyguy

Homework Statement

A compressed spring is released pushing a block at rest along a level, frictionless path. This is Location 1. The block then passes over a small area of friction which ends and becomes frictionless again. This is Location 2. The block then enters a loop-the-loop in the shape of a circle under no apparent acceleration. The top of this loop is Location 3. The block then completes the loop, and continues to travel on a level, frictionless path towards a 90 degree arc which launches the block vertical to a point, Location 4.

Given is the mass of the block(m), coefficient of kinetic friction([tex]\mu_k[/tex]), length of the area with friction(L), the spring constant(k), diameter of the circular(D) loop-the-loop, height of the point Location 4(y).

a) Find the work done by friction.
b) Find the distance the spring was compressed.
c) Find the normal force at the top of the loop.

Homework Equations

[tex]f_k = \mu_k m g[/tex]
[tex]W = \vec{F} \Delta \vec{r}[/tex]
[tex]K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f[/tex]
[tex]K = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 [/tex]
[tex]U = m g y[/tex]
[tex]U_s = \frac{1}{2} k x^2[/tex] - Hooke's law
[tex]\sum F_c = m a_c = \frac{m v^2}{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

a) My current solution simply involves combining the friction force equation and putting that into the equation for work.
[tex]W_f = \mu_k m g L[/tex]

This is the energy lost from Location 1 to Location 2.

b) Using conservation of energy, find the energy required to go from Location 2 to 4.
[tex]K_2 + U_2 = K_4 + U_4[/tex]
[tex]K_2 = U_4 = m g y[/tex]

Energy at Location 0 is equal to work done by friction between Location 1 and 2 and the potential energy at height y.
[tex]K_1 = K_2 + W_f[/tex]
[tex]U_0 = K_1[/tex]
[tex]x = \sqrt{\frac{2 U_0}{k}}[/tex]

c) Converting kinetic energy to linear velocity, find the speed the block enters the loop.
[tex]r = \frac{D}{2}[/tex]
[tex]K_2 = \frac{m v^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{2 K_2}{m}}[/tex]
[tex]F_{c,top] = \frac{m v^2}{r} = m g + F_{N,top}[/tex]
[tex]F_{N,top} = \frac{m v^2}{r} - m g[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

I think I needed to change my part C calculation as [tex]K_2 = K_3 +U_3[/tex]. Then solve for [tex]K_3[/tex] and then convert kinetic into velocity. So [tex]F_{N,top} = \frac{2 K_3}{r} - m g[/tex]. I think that is the correct way to calculate it.

1. How do I solve a physics homework problem involving work, distance, and normal force?

To solve a physics homework problem involving work, distance, and normal force, you first need to identify the given variables and known values. Then, use the appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the unknown variable. Make sure to pay attention to units and use correct signs (+/-) in your calculations.

2. What is the relationship between work, distance, and normal force?

The relationship between work, distance, and normal force is described by the equation W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work done, F is the normal force, d is the distance, and theta is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of motion.

3. How do I calculate work in a physics problem?

To calculate work in a physics problem, you can use the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is the work done, F is the force applied, d is the distance over which the force is applied, and theta is the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of motion.

4. What is the significance of the normal force in a physics problem?

The normal force is the perpendicular force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. In a physics problem, it is important to consider the normal force as it affects the work done and the overall motion of the object. For example, if the normal force is greater than the force applied, the object will not move.

5. Can I use the same formula to calculate work for all types of forces?

No, the formula W = F * d * cos(theta) is specifically for calculating work done by a constant force. If the force is not constant, you will need to use different formulas or methods to calculate work. For example, if the force is varying, you can use the area under a force-displacement graph to find the work done.