Proving 1-1 and Onto Functions in Set Theory

In summary: Then, g(z) = <{n}, {m}> = <x, y>.Thus, in both cases, we have shown that for every y in B, there exists an x in A such that g(x) = y. Hence, g is surjective.Since g is both injective and surjective, we can conclude that g is a bijection. And using similar techniques, we can prove that any function defined in ZFC is a bijection. I hope this helps to clarify the proof technique needed. Feel free to ask any further questions if needed.In summary, proving that a function is a bijection in ZFC involves showing that it is both injective and surjective.
dkavlak
Hello,

So I've been running into problems with rigorously proving that a function I've defined in ZFC is a bijection (1-1 and onto).

For example, if I know that a function between two numbers "n" and "m" (defined in the standard von neumann way) is a bijection (call the function "f"), how can I use "f" to prove that a function "g" such that g={<x,y>| <x,y> is in f or <x,y> = <{n},{m}>} (equivalently, g is a function between the successor of n and the successor of m) is a bijection?

It seems to me obviously true. Since there is a bijection between n and m, surely if you add one element to n and add one element to m you can construct a bijection between the new sets (since the two sets have cardinality there will be a way to map each distinct element of one set to a distinct element of the other and vice versa).

I realize this is a very elementary question, but it is something I keep struggling to accomplish and would greatly appreciate someone helping me to understand the proof technique needed. Equally helpful would be an explanation of how to prove that any function you define is a bijection.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Proving that a function is a bijection can be a challenging task, but with the right techniques, it can be accomplished. First, let's review the definition of a bijection in ZFC.

A function f: A → B is a bijection if it is both injective and surjective. In other words, f is injective if for every x and y in A, if f(x) = f(y), then x = y. And f is surjective if for every y in B, there exists an x in A such that f(x) = y.

Now, let's apply this definition to the function g you have defined. We can first show that g is injective. Let <x1, y1> and <x2, y2> be two elements in g. Then, we have two cases:

1. If <x1, y1> and <x2, y2> are both in f, then since f is injective, we have x1 = x2 and y1 = y2. Therefore, <x1, y1> = <x2, y2>.

2. If <x1, y1> = <{n}, {m}> and <x2, y2> is in f, then we have x2 = {n} and y2 = {m}. But since x1 and x2 are both singletons, we have x1 = x2. Similarly, y1 = y2. Therefore, <x1, y1> = <x2, y2>.

Thus, in both cases, we have shown that if g(x1) = g(x2), then x1 = x2. Hence, g is injective.

Next, we need to show that g is surjective. Let <x, y> be an element in g. We have two cases again:

1. If <x, y> is in f, then since f is surjective, there exists an element z in A such that f(z) = <x, y>. But since z is an element of A, it must be of the form <a, b> for some a and b. Therefore, <x, y> = <a, b>.

2. If <x, y> = <{n}, {m}>, then we can choose z

1. What is the definition of a 1-1 function?

A 1-1 function, also known as an injective function, is a type of function in set theory where each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. This means that no two elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. How can I prove that a function is 1-1?

To prove that a function is 1-1, you must show that for every element in the range, there is only one corresponding element in the domain. This can be done by using the definition of 1-1 functions and showing that no two elements in the domain map to the same element in the range.

3. What is an onto function?

An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a type of function in set theory where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This means that the range of the function is equal to the entire codomain.

4. How do I prove that a function is onto?

To prove that a function is onto, you must show that every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain. This can be done by using the definition of onto functions and showing that the range of the function is equal to the entire codomain.

5. Can a function be both 1-1 and onto?

Yes, a function can be both 1-1 and onto. This is known as a bijective function and it means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range and every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.