Circuits: Solve Using Nodal and mesh Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses applying KCL and KVL to a circuit with resistors R1, R2, and R3. The author considers whether the resistors are in parallel and writes node voltage equations for each node A, B, and C. The conversation ends with encouragement to continue with mesh analysis.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

prob224.jpg

fig224.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL & KVL:

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok folks :smile: I am not sure where to go from here. Someone suggested changing the 144V to its Thevenin equivalent, which I have done below. I know that I am supposed to apply KCL at each node A,B, and C. And then I represent each current in terms of voltages. Now I am a little confused as to how to proceed.

I am trying got convince myself that R1, R2, and R3 are in parallel because their leads are all connected, but I am not sure yet. The voltage drop across R1 is definitely just VA since I can pass from A across the resistor and directly to ground. But for R2 and R3, I feel like the voltages at B and C need to be considered.

Any thoughts?

mysol.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you meant to say that you've changed the voltage supply and its series resistance to its Norton equivalent.

Also, one leg in common does not a parallel connection make; R1, R2, and R3 are not in parallel.

With the network as shown in your second diagram, you are in a position to write the node voltage equations by inspection.

gneill said:
I think you meant to say that you've changed the voltage supply and its series resistance to its Norton equivalent.

Also, one leg in common does not a parallel connection make; R1, R2, and R3 are not in parallel.

With the network as shown in your second diagram, you are in a position to write the node voltage equations by inspection.

So they are not in parallel because they do not share the same voltage, correct?

I think I have it now:

Node A:

[itex]48 - V_A/3 - (V_B - V_A)/4 - (V_C - V_A)/4 = 0[/itex]

Node B:

[itex](V_B - V_A)/4 - (V_C - V_B)/3 - V_B/2 = 0[/itex]

Node C:

[itex]-V_C/12 + (V_C - V_B)/3 + (V_C - V_A)/4 = 0[/itex]

Now I need to move forward to the mesh analysis.

For components to be in parallel, both ends of each need to be directly connected to each other.

It looks like you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!

First, let's clarify the problem statement. The problem is asking you to solve the circuit using nodal and mesh analysis. This means that you will need to apply Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) at each node and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) around each loop or mesh in the circuit.

To begin, let's label the nodes A, B, and C as shown in the diagram. Next, we can apply KCL at each node to create equations for the currents flowing into and out of each node.

At node A, we have the following equation:
I1 + I2 + I3 = 0

At node B, we can use KCL to create an equation for the current flowing into node B:
I2 + I4 = 0

And at node C:
I3 + I5 = 0

Next, we can apply KVL around each loop or mesh in the circuit. Starting with the outer loop, we have:
-144 + R1*I1 + R2*I2 = 0

Moving on to the middle loop:
R2*I2 + R3*I3 = 0

And finally, the inner loop:
R3*I3 + R4*I4 + R5*I5 = 0

Now we have a system of equations that we can solve using algebraic methods or a calculator. Once we have solved for all the unknown currents, we can use Ohm's Law to find the voltage drops across each resistor and the voltage at each node.

It is important to note that R1, R2, and R3 are not in parallel. They are all in series, meaning that the current passing through each resistor is the same. This is why we can use the same current, I2, to represent the current through R2 and R3 in our equations.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and give you a starting point for solving it using nodal and mesh analysis. Remember to always label your nodes and use consistent currents and voltages in your equations. Good luck!

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits by examining the voltage at different points or nodes in the circuit. It is based on Kirchoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node.

2. How is mesh analysis different from nodal analysis?

Mesh analysis is a method used to analyze electric circuits by examining the current flowing through different loops or meshes in the circuit. It is based on Kirchoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop must equal zero. Unlike nodal analysis, it does not require the identification of nodes in the circuit.

3. When should I use nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is typically used for circuits with multiple voltage sources and few current sources. It is also useful for circuits with parallel branches and nodes that are connected to more than two elements. Nodal analysis is considered more intuitive and easier to use for these types of circuits.

4. When should I use mesh analysis?

Mesh analysis is typically used for circuits with multiple current sources and few voltage sources. It is also useful for circuits with series branches and loops that are connected to more than two elements. Mesh analysis is considered more efficient and easier to use for these types of circuits.

5. Can nodal and mesh analysis be used together?

Yes, nodal and mesh analysis can be used together to solve complex circuits. In some cases, it may be necessary to combine both methods to accurately analyze a circuit. It is important to understand the differences between nodal and mesh analysis and when to use each method for optimal results.