Calculating Image Visibility with 500 Lumens

• Thread starter sharp81
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation is about setting up a projector with a light source of 500 lumens and determining the amount of light that will fall on the fresnel lens. The speaker also wants to know how much light is needed for the eye to see the image clearly and how to calculate the angle and design the reflector. They also mention a contrast ratio of 20:1 and ask for help in understanding how it relates to the brightness that the eye can see. The speaker is seeking suggestions and help from others.
sharp81
i have this projector setup with a light source having about 500 lumens as its light output.I know the distance to the fresnel lens which will be at the focal distance so that parallel light goes through the lens.
I want to know how much of this light would be falling on the fresnel lens.
I think this should be the illuminance or the brightness.
Now i need to find out how much of the light is required for the eye to see the image clearly.
Since in this case when some lumens is coming out of the light source this shld be converted to candela/steradian and hence i need to determine the angle formed by the light source to the fresnel.This is needed so that i can design the reflector which will be my next in the task.
considering that the contrast ratio is abt 20:1 . i don't have much idea about this contrast ratio and would like to know how this could be related to how much brightness the eye can see.
The brightness and the illuminance at the fresnel need to be found out which can be used with the magnification of the image known to say what the luminance on my final image would be.

Physics news on Phys.org
will someone be able to help me out.i guess i am the only one whose questions goes unnoticed all the time.

still no ones responded to my cry .

pleasezz some one help me with some sort of suggestions.please, i am desperate for help

1. How is image visibility calculated with 500 lumens?

The calculation of image visibility with 500 lumens involves considering the luminous flux (amount of visible light) emitted by a light source, the distance between the light source and the image, and the reflectivity of the surface on which the image is projected. The formula for calculating image visibility is: Image Visibility = (luminous flux x surface reflectivity) / (distance)^2.

2. Is 500 lumens enough to create a visible image?

Yes, 500 lumens is enough to create a visible image in a dark or dimly lit environment. However, the size and clarity of the image will also depend on the factors mentioned in the previous answer, such as the distance from the light source and the reflectivity of the surface.

3. Can the distance between the light source and the image affect visibility with 500 lumens?

Yes, the distance between the light source and the image can greatly affect visibility with 500 lumens. As the distance increases, the light becomes more spread out and the image may appear dimmer or less clear. It is important to consider the distance when calculating image visibility with 500 lumens.

4. What surfaces are best for projecting images with 500 lumens?

Surfaces with high reflectivity, such as white walls or projector screens, are best for projecting images with 500 lumens. These surfaces will reflect more of the light emitted and result in a brighter and clearer image. Matte or dark surfaces may absorb more light and make the image appear dimmer.

5. How can I increase image visibility with 500 lumens?

To increase image visibility with 500 lumens, you can try adjusting the distance between the light source and the image, as well as the angle and position of the light source. You can also try using a more reflective surface or increasing the luminous flux of the light source. Additionally, reducing ambient light in the environment can also help improve image visibility with 500 lumens.