Confusion on orientation of manifolds

In summary, my book defines an orientation preserving parametrization of a manifold as one such that: Ω(D1γ(u), ..., Dkγ(u)) = +1 for all u in the domain of γ, where D1,...Dk are the derivatives of the parametrization γ. Furthermore, my book defines the orientation of a surface in R^3 by Ω(v1,v2) = sgn det[n(x), v1, v2] where sgn takes the sign off a real number and n(x) is a transverse vector field and v1 and v2 form a basis for the tangent space of the surface at the
demonelite123
my book defines an orientation preserving parametrization of a manifold as one such that:
Ω(D1γ(u), ..., Dkγ(u)) = +1 for all u in the domain of γ, where D1,...Dk are the derivatives of the parametrization γ.

my book also defines the orientation of a surface in R^3 by Ω(v1,v2) = sgn det[n(x), v1, v2] where sgn takes the sign off a real number and n(x) is a transverse vector field and v1 and v2 form a basis for the tangent space of the surface at the point x. if we choose n(x) to be D1γ X D2γ (the cross product) then Ω(D1γ, D2γ) = sgn det[D1γ X D2γ, D1γ, D2γ] and it is simple to show that this determinant is > 0 for all input values. then by the first definition stated above, if you choose n(x) = D1γ X D2γ, then γ must preserve the orientation of the surface in R^3.

however my book seems to contradict itself when it gives an example. let M be the torus obtained by choosing R>r>0 and taking the circle of radius r in the (x,z) plane that is centered at x = R and z = 0 rotating it around the z axis. assume it is orientated by the outward pointing normal. does γ(u,v) = ((R+rcos u)cos v, (R+rcos u) sinv, rsin u)) preserve the orientation?

my book went on to calculate D1γ and D2γ as well as D1γ X D2γ and letting n(x) = D1γ X D2γ. my book presented a proposition right before this example that said if γ preserves orientation at a single point in U (domain of γ) then it preserves orientation at every point of U. the book calculated n = D1γ X D2γ at the point γ(0,0) and got n = -r(r+R)[1, 0, 0] (column vector). which it then says points inwards and thus does not preserve orientation. i am confused because earlier the book said that if you chose n = D1γ X D2γ then it will preserve orientation. any help is clearing up this matter is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
im a little confused too. what book is it?

Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Forms: A Unified Approach - John Hubbard, Barbara Hubbard

1. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that describes a space that looks flat and smooth at a small scale, but can have more complicated structures at a larger scale. In simpler terms, it is a type of surface that can be curved or bent in different directions.

2. How can manifolds be oriented?

Manifolds can be oriented in different ways, depending on the number of dimensions they have. In one dimension, a manifold can be oriented by choosing a direction along the line. In two dimensions, a manifold can be oriented by choosing a clockwise or counterclockwise direction around the surface. In higher dimensions, the orientation can be determined by using a right-hand rule.

3. What is the importance of orientation in manifolds?

The orientation of a manifold is important because it affects many mathematical properties, such as integration and differentiation. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of vector fields and other physical quantities on the manifold.

4. How can confusion on orientation of manifolds arise?

Confusion on orientation of manifolds can arise when there is a mismatch between the chosen orientation and the actual orientation of the manifold. This can happen when working in higher dimensions, where the orientation may not be as intuitive, or when dealing with non-orientable manifolds, which do not have a consistent orientation.

5. How can confusion on orientation of manifolds be resolved?

Confusion on orientation of manifolds can be resolved by carefully defining the orientation of the manifold and making sure it is consistent throughout any calculations or applications. It can also be helpful to visualize the manifold in lower dimensions or to use mathematical tools, such as cohomology, to determine the orientation of a manifold.