Easy to understand books for Civil engineering mechanics

In summary, the speaker is a 1st year student in civil engineering who enjoys their program but struggles with mechanics. They have found success in other subjects such as math and geodetic surveying, but are having difficulty grasping mechanics. They have a lot of opportunities in their future career and do not necessarily need to excel in mechanics to be considered an engineer. They are looking for recommendations on books that explain mechanics in a simple way, similar to "the dummies series," to help them prepare for their exam in the summer. They ask for suggestions on a good mechanics book in a physics forum.
Riazy
Hi guys, I am a 1st year student in civil engineering, I must admit that I like my field program,
the thing is that some people are good at a certain thing, others struggle with it.

Okay I think I will fail my first mechanics exam. Whereas I scored well on my other exams, such as math, geodetic surveying. My other subjects of architectural town planning I gained good marks in too.

I don't know why I have a problem grasping all of it. i tried my best, but still i couldn't manage it. As I see my future career, I have a lot of opportunities to work, I don't necesserily have to pass mechanics with distinction to be considered an engineer. I am good at 3d drawings in autocad, managing drafting designs, I can measure things with help of geodesy.

But mechanics is really troublesome for me.

I think i'll be needing an idiots guide to mechanics, that is a good book in English explaining things very simple. I have tried to look in our library, but its mainly books of advanced nature(such as the once we have).

So what I need is recommendations on books in

Statics and Strength of Materials for Civil engineers - the simple way. okay in range with "the dummies series", well if there is no such thing as that, atleast there must be some easier books.

Hopefully after getting a good book, i'll make up my exam during the summer.

Thank you for a good forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone here must know of a good mechanics book? I mean it is a physics forum, I didnt know where to ask elsewhere`?

1. What is the purpose of "Easy to understand books for Civil engineering mechanics?"

The purpose of these books is to present the complex concepts of civil engineering mechanics in a simplified and easy-to-understand manner. They aim to make the subject more accessible to students and professionals who may not have a strong background in mathematics or engineering.

2. Are these books suitable for beginners in civil engineering?

Yes, these books are designed for beginners in civil engineering. They provide a foundational understanding of the key principles and equations in mechanics, making it easier for beginners to grasp the subject.

3. Do these books cover all topics in civil engineering mechanics?

These books cover the fundamental topics in civil engineering mechanics, such as statics, dynamics, and structural analysis. However, they may not cover advanced topics in detail. They serve as a starting point for students and professionals to build their understanding and further explore the subject.

4. Can these books be used as a reference for practicing engineers?

Yes, these books can be used as a reference for practicing engineers. They provide a concise overview of the key principles in civil engineering mechanics and can serve as a quick refresher for professionals working in the field.

5. What makes these books different from traditional textbooks on civil engineering mechanics?

These books are specifically designed to be easy to understand, with clear explanations, examples, and illustrations. They focus on simplifying complex concepts and equations, making them more accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, they may also include real-world applications and case studies to help readers better understand the practical aspects of civil engineering mechanics.