How to calculate power loss due to eddy current formation?

Your Name]In summary, the user is investigating the penetration depth of eddy currents in a copper slab and needs to calculate the power loss due to the eddy currents, taking into account the skin effect. They have found equations for calculating power loss and the depth of current density in a conductor, but have not been able to find an equation that incorporates the skin effect. The expert advises that the relationship between current density and power loss is not a straightforward 1:1 ratio and suggests using a numerical method or empirical formulas for accurate calculations.
Orlando

Homework Statement

I am investigating the penetration depth of eddy currents within a copper slab. A solenoid is being used to induce the eddy currents within the copper. As a result of the experimental design, I need to calculate the power loss due to the eddy currents and I can't find any theoretical calculations that do so that also incorporate the skin effect.

Homework Equations

Under certain assumptions (uniform material, uniform magnetic field, no skin effect, etc.) the power lost due to eddy currents can be calculated from the following equations: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/e/e/5ee57c87a0a7375257720d65c5a75198.png

The AC current density J in a conductor decreases exponentially from its value at the surface JS according to the depth d from the surface, as follows:http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/1/2/0/1205a2cff61e72e90ad4ed2ccb77bffb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see why i cannot simply combine these two equations to account for the skin effect, however I have not been able to find such an equation anywhere online. Doing so relies on the assumption that there is a 1:1 ratio between current density and power loss, but isn't that so?

I would appreciate any help or confirmation. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for sharing your experiment and question. As a scientist who specializes in electromagnetism, I can offer some insights on your inquiry.

Firstly, I commend you for considering the skin effect in your calculations. The skin effect is a crucial phenomenon when dealing with eddy currents, as it significantly affects the distribution of current within the conductor and thus the power loss due to eddy currents.

To answer your question, yes, you can combine the two equations you mentioned to account for the skin effect. However, the relationship between current density and power loss is not a straightforward 1:1 ratio. The power loss due to eddy currents is also affected by the frequency of the AC current, the resistivity and permeability of the material, and the geometry of the conductor.

To accurately calculate the power loss due to eddy currents, it is best to use a numerical method, such as finite element analysis, which takes into account all these factors. Alternatively, you could also use empirical formulas that have been derived through experimental data.

I hope this helps with your research. Best of luck with your experiment!

What is the formula for calculating power loss due to eddy current formation?

The formula for calculating power loss due to eddy current formation is P = Ke^2f^2B^2t^2, where P is the power loss, K is a constant, e is the thickness of the conductor, f is the frequency, B is the magnetic field strength, and t is the time.

How do I determine the value of the constant K in the power loss formula?

The value of the constant K can be determined experimentally by measuring the power loss for different values of e, f, B, and t and then using the formula to find the value of K. Alternatively, it can be obtained from reference tables or by consulting with experts in the field.

What factors affect the power loss due to eddy current formation?

The power loss due to eddy current formation is affected by the thickness of the conductor, the frequency of the alternating current, the strength of the magnetic field, and the time during which the current flows. It is also influenced by the material properties of the conductor, such as its resistivity and permeability.

What are some practical applications of calculating power loss due to eddy current formation?

Calculating power loss due to eddy current formation is important in various industries, including power generation, electrical motors and transformers, and electronic circuitry. It helps engineers in designing more efficient systems and in minimizing energy losses.

Are there any methods to reduce power loss due to eddy current formation?

Yes, there are several methods that can be used to reduce power loss due to eddy current formation. These include using laminated or insulated conductors, decreasing the frequency of the alternating current, and using materials with lower resistivity and permeability. Additionally, designing circuits that minimize eddy currents and using proper shielding and grounding techniques can also help reduce power loss.