Kenneth miller thinks god exists in quantum mechanics

In summary, Miller's book "Finding Darwin's God" discusses the reconciliation of evolution and God by proposing that God created the conditions that allowed evolution to happen. He also uses quantum mechanics as a way to explain free will and the role of God in the universe. However, some argue that this is similar to the Intelligent Design argument of placing God in the unknown scientific frontier. Ultimately, the truth of Miller's theory may depend on future scientific discoveries.
Dotini said:
I personally am not arguing for a designer or fine-tuning. I'm more concerned about multiverses, and I can see that the apparent trend in most levels of physics is to accept the multiverse in order that the universe not be non-random. Fine-tuning is evidently a strong argument for some highly regarded scientists. I sincerely want you to win this argument, but be aware that you're up against Stephen Hawking and a well-accepted fine tuning science literature.

My recollection is that Hawking supports the WAP, rather than the SAP, and does not support fine-tuning in the sense of being due to some sort of conscious entity. I believe his view can be summarized (as is consistent with the WAP) as: "We observe the universe to be as it is, because if it were different, we would likely not be here to observe it" .. i.e. the "privileged observer" hypothesis. It's been a while since I read "The Universe in a Nutshell", but I believe that in it he says he finds it *more plausible* that our universe represents just one of many "trials", rather than a singular trial that "just happened" to hit the right values.

Finally .. since this is about experimentally unverifiable interpretations of the universe, it is a level playing field, and everyone is equally entitled to their opinions. Provided that they are consistent with experimentally verifiable phenomena, it is largely irrelevant whether those opinions come from scientists, philosophers, or just some random dude you met on the street.

Physics news on Phys.org
SpectraCat said:
My recollection is that Hawking supports the WAP, rather than the SAP, and does not support fine-tuning in the sense of being due to some sort of conscious entity. I believe his view can be summarized (as is consistent with the WAP) as: "We observe the universe to be as it is, because if it were different, we would likely not be here to observe it" .. i.e. the "privileged observer" hypothesis. It's been a while since I read "The Universe in a Nutshell", but I believe that in it he says he finds it *more plausible* that our universe represents just one of many "trials", rather than a singular trial that "just happened" to hit the right values.

Finally .. since this is about experimentally unverifiable interpretations of the universe, it is a level playing field, and everyone is equally entitled to their opinions. Provided that they are consistent with experimentally verifiable phenomena, it is largely irrelevant whether those opinions come from scientists, philosophers, or just some random dude you met on the street.

This post I agree most on.

The reason I haven't posted "peer-reviewed" articles is b/c such discussions quickly...devolve into "if you read the 30 pg article I linked you would understand".

So I kept my argument to simple logic that can be reasoned within this thread.

The whole fine-tuning thing is a tangent anyways. I was really curious about quantum mechanics and the "soul"

vjk2 said:
This post I agree most on.

The whole fine-tuning thing is a tangent anyways. I was really curious about quantum mechanics and the "soul"

What ? Why are you getting two unrelated things in your post. What has the soul got to do with quantum mechanics? (and there is a separate sub forum for quantum mechanics.)

Or you want to discuss "soul", which is not a scientific topic.There is nothing to discuss about the topic since it is not scientifically verifiable.

Last edited:
Consciousness may have to do with quantum entanglement. IMHO, we need to correctly explain gravity, quantum entanglement and consciousness before we can grapple with the origin of the universe.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

Getting further away from the OP with every post.

No evidence has been provided for the issue of a god(s) being responsible for apparent fine tuning. This thread is going in circles and should be locked.

Dotini said:
Consciousness may have to do with quantum entanglement. IMHO, we need to correctly explain gravity, quantum entanglement and consciousness before we can grapple with the origin of the universe.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve
If you want to discuss philosophy, there is a philosophy forum under general discussion sub forum. What is the connection between gravity, quantum entanglement and consciousness ?

Why don't you just simply address the OP, instead of getting new topics within this thread.

Last edited:
thorium1010 said:
If you want to discuss philosophy there is a philosophy forum under general discussion sub forum. What is the connection between gravity, quantum entanglement and conciseness ?

Why don't you just simply address the OP, instead of getting new topics within this thread.

I want to discuss science, not philosophy. "Soul" and "God" are philosophy. Gravity, consciousness and quantum effects are science. Here, for reference, is the OP, which vjk2 recanted to some degree by later bringing in soul:

I'm almost finished with his book finding darwin's god.
In short, I feel like he skirts dangerously close to ID with this notion.
Basically, Miller reconciles evolution with God by saying that, while this could be reductionist, it was God that created the conditions that led rise to evolution being possible. For instance, if the gravitational constant were different then life as we know it would not exist. Now, it is also possible that the fact that it happened is a reductionist stance to take, and a man by the name of Dennet has proposed an alterenative to this, namely that it is also possible that there were many possible universes with slightly different gravitational constants and they went out of existence. Miller, I feel, relies on the fact that so far no one has detected any of these possible universes as proof that there is...a deity evident in the gravitational constant among others.

He does the same with quantum mechanics. because you can't know exactly where an electron will be, that is where free will lies. For, if we could predict the minute workings of quantum mechanics, then you could possibly reduct everything much like how you can predict the trajectory of a thrown ball using traditional physics.

The strength I feel is that quantum mechanics probably is in-fact impossible to pin down. The weakness is that he is doing what he accuses the Intelligent Design advocate of doing: placing God in the unknown scientific frontier.

I like the work, but can anyone explain how all of this reconciles?

In short, I feel that while the OP is somewhat incoherent, I've been sticking with the question closer than you.

Respectfully,
Steve

pftest said:
Which claims?

claims such as this

One could re-cast the concept of biogenesis in terms of a search problem: nature searches the chemical decision tree for a ‘target’ state – in this case the RNA world. But searching decision trees is one way that quantum mechanics can greatly improve efficiency

Nature is neither deterministic nor seeking a direction for something. And what is a chemical decision tree ? It seems the whole article he is trying to give nature a purpose, which in my opinion is wrong.

The oldest bacterial fossils are about 3.5 billion years and it took another billion years for eukaryotes to form. IF you look at the timescales and the fossil records, what exactly about these speaks about decision making tree or purpose.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanofr.html" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Dotini said:
Gravity, consciousness and quantum effects are science.

Yes, indeed they are science. But I still don't see the connection between consciousness and other two.

In short, I feel like he skirts dangerously close to ID with this notion.

yes he does and very often.

as proof that there is...a deity evident in the gravitational constant among others.
which was the whole discussion int the thread , where is the evidence.

The strength I feel is that quantum mechanics probably is in-fact impossible to pin down. The weakness is that he is doing what he accuses the Intelligent Design advocate of doing: placing God in the unknown scientific frontier.

which is what he is exactly doing placing god, when he can't explain why the gravitational constant ( or any other constants ) are just the way they are.

I like the work, but can anyone explain how all of this reconciles? [/I]

thats what is happening in the whole thread, there is nothing to reconcile unless there is evidence forthcoming.

In short, I feel that while the OP is somewhat incoherent, I've been sticking with the question closer than you.

well you brought in consciousness, which was neither mentioned in the OP nor in the discussion about miller's book

Last edited:
This thread isn't going anywhere. Presenting claims and opinions (from yourself, a scientist or any random person) is not evidence. Hard data gained through experimentation would be nice.

I'm also getting pretty sick and tired of reading threads where people start linking consciousness and quantum physics in some vague mystic manner. If it's not in there there should definitely be something in the rules about learning a subject before invoking it, especially as 'evidence' for the paranormal.

Over a hundred posts later, 8 pages and nearly 2000 views we end up with claims, opinions, the supernatural and no evidence. This should be locked

thorium1010 said:
claims such as this
The very next sentence to that quote is a reference to a source:

For example, Farhi & Gutmann (1998) have demonstrated an exponential improvement in search times for certain quantum decision trees.

Nature is neither deterministic nor seeking a direction for something. And what is a chemical decision tree ? It seems the whole article he is trying to give nature a purpose, which in my opinion is wrong.
Id say that question is unanswered, so we cannot say it is wrong. Talking about nature in general, it is true there is purpose in it. Making a cup of tea because it tastes good is an example.

The oldest bacterial fossils are about 3.5 billion years and it took another billion years for eukaryotes to form. IF you look at the timescales and the fossil records, what exactly about these speaks about decision making tree or purpose.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/bacteria/cyanofr.html" [Broken]
In the quote he talks about the "RNA world" and the paper is about the origin of life, not the subsequent evolution of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread is going in circles. Closed.

<H2>1. What evidence does Kenneth Miller use to support his belief that God exists in quantum mechanics?</H2><p>Kenneth Miller argues that the complexity and precision of the laws of quantum mechanics suggest an intelligent designer, or God, is behind the universe. He also points to the fine-tuning of the universe for life as evidence of a higher power.</p><H2>2. How does Kenneth Miller reconcile his belief in God with the scientific principles of quantum mechanics?</H2><p>Miller believes that God is the ultimate creator and sustainer of the universe, and that the laws of quantum mechanics are simply the means by which God operates. He sees no conflict between science and religion, and believes that both can coexist and complement each other.</p><H2>3. Does Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics have any scientific basis?</H2><p>Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics is not supported by any scientific evidence. It is a personal belief based on his interpretation of the scientific principles of quantum mechanics.</p><H2>4. How does Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics differ from traditional religious beliefs?</H2><p>Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics is unique in that it is based on scientific principles rather than religious texts or traditions. He sees God as the ultimate explanation for the laws of quantum mechanics, rather than a separate entity that intervenes in the universe.</p><H2>5. What is the general consensus among scientists regarding Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics?</H2><p>There is no general consensus among scientists regarding Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics. Some may see it as a valid interpretation of the scientific principles, while others may see it as a personal belief with no scientific basis. Ultimately, it is a matter of individual perspective and interpretation.</p>

1. What evidence does Kenneth Miller use to support his belief that God exists in quantum mechanics?

Kenneth Miller argues that the complexity and precision of the laws of quantum mechanics suggest an intelligent designer, or God, is behind the universe. He also points to the fine-tuning of the universe for life as evidence of a higher power.

2. How does Kenneth Miller reconcile his belief in God with the scientific principles of quantum mechanics?

Miller believes that God is the ultimate creator and sustainer of the universe, and that the laws of quantum mechanics are simply the means by which God operates. He sees no conflict between science and religion, and believes that both can coexist and complement each other.

3. Does Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics have any scientific basis?

Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics is not supported by any scientific evidence. It is a personal belief based on his interpretation of the scientific principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How does Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics differ from traditional religious beliefs?

Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics is unique in that it is based on scientific principles rather than religious texts or traditions. He sees God as the ultimate explanation for the laws of quantum mechanics, rather than a separate entity that intervenes in the universe.

5. What is the general consensus among scientists regarding Kenneth Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics?

There is no general consensus among scientists regarding Miller's belief in God in quantum mechanics. Some may see it as a valid interpretation of the scientific principles, while others may see it as a personal belief with no scientific basis. Ultimately, it is a matter of individual perspective and interpretation.