Frustrated? Fixing Lost Forum Posts

• Thread starter Neandethal00
  • Start date
In summary, Ivan was suggesting to copy the post before you submit it and to use a word processor such as Word to compose a long post. He also advised to always highlight the post and hit "ctrl-C" before hitting review or submit, and to use LaTeX for equations instead of Equation Editor in Word 2007. There is also the option to compose a post in a text editor. Non-paying members cannot send or make attachments, but upgrading may allow this. Additionally, it is recommended to save the post before submitting in case of any issues.
Neandethal00
I'm sick of this.

I Sign in.
I click on reply.
I type a long reply, with lots of thought and formula.
Then I click on 'Review' button.

It asks me to 'Sign in', again. I sign in again, but...

ALL MY TYPINGS ARE LOST FOREVER.

Is this what your Forums are setup to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the troubles! Time out is set at 15min of inactiveness. Make sure you click "remember me" if you don't want to be logged out.

And always highlight the post and hit "ctrl-C" before hitting review or submit.

I know, this is extremely annoying. But you just need to get used to typing Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C.
Also, when you click "post" instead of "review", then the post does get posted if you log back in...

Also, make sure cookies are enabled.

Well, I have been having the same problem as Neandethal00. I've wasted 3 hours this weekend trying to clean up a Word 2007 document that I cut and pasted, since I haven't learned LaTex yet. Twice was rejected and got into an endless loop when I wanted to review again before posting (preview). The first time, I think I was not logged in by the time I tried to post. Then the second time I kept an eye on the logged in screen, and it showed I was logged in, but I got into the endless loop again because (maybe) I had already hit preview and then hit it again. It doesn't want to allow me to preview once I already am in preview mode, maybe.

At what point should I hit Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C? Right before hitting the review or submit button? What does that do? Is that just if it kicks me out, or does that prevent the endless loop? Also, what if I have already hit Preview? Can I hit the Preview button again if I hit Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C?

Thanks for clarifying. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem.
Thanks!

JsStewartFan said:
Well, I have been having the same problem as Neandethal00. I've wasted 3 hours this weekend trying to clean up a Word 2007 document that I cut and pasted, since I haven't learned LaTex yet. Twice was rejected and got into an endless loop when I wanted to review again before posting (preview). The first time, I think I was not logged in by the time I tried to post. Then the second time I kept an eye on the logged in screen, and it showed I was logged in, but I got into the endless loop again because (maybe) I had already hit preview and then hit it again. It doesn't want to allow me to preview once I already am in preview mode, maybe.

At what point should I hit Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C? Right before hitting the review or submit button? What does that do? Is that just if it kicks me out, or does that prevent the endless loop? Also, what if I have already hit Preview? Can I hit the Preview button again if I hit Ctrl-A and Ctrl-C?

Thanks for clarifying. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having this problem.
Thanks!

Ivan was suggesting to copy the post before you submit it.

Alternatively, you can use a word processor such as Word to compose a long post.

Ivan Seeking said:
And always highlight the post and hit "ctrl-C" before hitting review or submit.

That's what I do! ... sometimes.

Can I as a non-paying member send a Word attachment to a mentor (or post an attachment to a message)? My problem was that I had used Equation Editor in Word 2007, but it came out badly (not formatted nicely) when I pasted it into the message box.

If I were to upgrade, could I send or make attachments?

Thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Sorry for the troubles! Time out is set at 15min of inactiveness. Make sure you click "remember me" if you don't want to be logged out.

Is it feasible to warn users somehow, who are not remembered?

I can relate, it isn't just the "inactiveness" problem. Very often I accidentally click on the backspace button and bam, all my writing gone.

With detailed posts, it's best to select all (Cntrl,A with Windows) and copy (Cntrl,C) before submitting. If there is a problem, then one can submit again and use paste (Cntrl,V).

Alternatively, compose a post in a text editor.

LaTeX is best for equations if they require special symbols.

Equation Editor in Word 2007 does not work for cut and paste into the browser.

JsStewartFan said:
Can I as a non-paying member send a Word attachment to a mentor (or post an attachment to a message)?
No, needing Mentor intervention for making a post is not really a viable solution, except in unusual circumstances.
My problem was that I had used Equation Editor in Word 2007, but it came out badly (not formatted nicely) when I pasted it into the message box.
Alternatively, you could https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951" .
If I were to upgrade, could I send or make attachments?
I'm surprised you can't make attachments now. When you're in Advanced Edit mode, can you see the "Manage Attachments" button? It's should appear somewhere down in the "Additional Options" section, which is below the message box where you type in the post text.

That being said, posting a Word document has the drawback that some members won't bother to open it. Again, the best solution is to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951" for posting equations.

Last edited by a moderator:
JsStewartFan said:
Well, I have been having the same problem as Neandethal00.

What browser do you use?

I can't tell about others, but Opera remembers content of the edit fields, so even if I have problems posting I can simply get back to the previous page in history and my freshly post is still there. I don't think I ever lost a content.

Neandethal00 said:
I'm sick of this.

I Sign in.
I click on reply.
I type a long reply, with lots of thought and formula.
Then I click on 'Review' button.

It asks me to 'Sign in', again. I sign in again, but...

ALL MY TYPINGS ARE LOST FOREVER.

Is this what your Forums are setup to do?

Neandethal,

I have been burned more than once too, I now copy into a new g-mail e-mail (I always have g-mail open), save it (as a draft) and then no matter what happens it is ALWAYS there, copying to the clipboard is sketchy if your computer hangs up, you are screwed. Never have a problem any more. Something to think about.

Rhody... :wink:

Borek said:
What browser do you use?

I can't tell about others, but Opera remembers content of the edit fields, so even if I have problems posting I can simply get back to the previous page in history and my freshly post is still there. I don't think I ever lost a content.

I use Mozilla Firefox, and I hadn't thought of its history. Thanks for another idea!

Redbelly98 said:
No, needing Mentor intervention for making a post is not really a viable solution, except in unusual circumstances.

Alternatively, you could https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951" .

I'm surprised you can't make attachments now. When you're in Advanced Edit mode, can you see the "Manage Attachments" button? It's should appear somewhere down in the "Additional Options" section, which is below the message box where you type in the post text.

That being said, posting a Word document has the drawback that some members won't bother to open it. Again, the best solution is to https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=386951" for posting equations.

Thanks for your thorough reply. I see the Manage Attachments button in additional options below. Duh! But I understand it would be better to learn LaTex. I'm in that process. Again, thanks for your response.

By the way, I'm a birder at heart, too. Love your "photo."

Last edited by a moderator:
rhody said:
Neandethal,

I have been burned more than once too, I now copy into a new g-mail e-mail (I always have g-mail open), save it (as a draft) and then no matter what happens it is ALWAYS there, copying to the clipboard is sketchy if your computer hangs up, you are screwed. Never have a problem any more. Something to think about.

Rhody... :wink:

Thanks. I also usually have Word up, so I could paste into it right before clicking on anything. Good ideas.

I can relate, it isn't just the "inactiveness" problem. Very often I accidentally click on the backspace button and bam, all my writing gone.

ctrl + Z cures this one and several like it.

What is "Frustrated? Fixing Lost Forum Posts"?

"Frustrated? Fixing Lost Forum Posts" is a topic that discusses the common issue of forum posts disappearing or getting lost. It offers solutions and tips for retrieving lost posts.

Why do forum posts get lost?

Forum posts can get lost due to technical issues, such as server errors or database errors. They can also get accidentally deleted by the user or by a moderator.

How can I retrieve a lost forum post?

If your post was accidentally deleted, you can contact a moderator to see if they can recover it. If it was a technical issue, you can try clearing your browser cache or using a different browser. If these methods don't work, you may need to rewrite your post.

Can I prevent my forum posts from getting lost?

While there is no foolproof way to prevent lost forum posts, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances. These include regularly saving your post as you write, using a reliable internet connection, and avoiding using the back button while writing a post.

Is there a way to backup my forum posts?

Some forums may have a feature to automatically save drafts of your posts. You can also manually copy and save your post before submitting it. Additionally, you can take screenshots of your posts as a backup. However, it is always best to write your posts in a separate document before posting to avoid losing them.