Free Latex Viewer Software: Is It Legal to Sell?

In summary, the conversation discusses the availability of free LaTeX viewer software and the potential legal implications of creating one. The conversation also mentions different options for LaTeX IDEs and viewers, including YAP and TeXniCenter. It is mentioned that there is a proprietary LaTeX IDE called 'Winedit' that is available for sale. The legality of creating and selling a LaTeX viewer is also discussed, with some participants believing that it would not be illegal due to LaTeX's open license.
NeutronStar
Does anyone know of any free latex viewer software that can be download.

I was actually thinking about writing something in VB just for my own personal use. But if it's already been done why reinvent the wheel?

Also who owns Latex? I mean, if I wrote a Latex viewer program in VB could I sell it? Or would it be under some kind of legal restriction because it specifically recognizes Latex code?

Anybody know?

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually use YAP (Yet Another Previewer) that comes with the MikTex distribution.

What do you mean by a LaTeX 'viewer?' From the gist of the thread I feel that you are referring to a LaTeX IDE to write LaTeX documents, this wouldn't be too hard to accomplish (hell you can write LaTeX source in Notepad). If you're referring to a viewer such as Yap that reads a rendered DVI or PS file, then that's going to be much more difficult to write. I suggest Yap as a viewer, and TeXniCenter for an IDE.

There is a propiertary LaTeX IDE called 'Winedit.' It is shareware, therefore, it would not be illegal to produce and sale one yourself. I'm rather sure LaTeX is GPL'd, meaning it has a very open license. Anyone, feel free to correct me here.

Last edited:

1. Is it legal to sell free Latex viewer software?

Yes, it is legal to sell free Latex viewer software as long as the software is distributed under a free and open source license such as the GNU General Public License (GPL) or the MIT License.

2. Can I modify and sell the free Latex viewer software?

Yes, you can modify and sell the free Latex viewer software as long as you follow the terms of the license under which the software was originally distributed. This may include giving credit to the original author and making your modifications available under the same license.

3. Do I need to pay any fees to use or sell the free Latex viewer software?

No, you do not need to pay any fees to use or sell the free Latex viewer software. However, you may need to pay for any distribution or hosting costs associated with selling the software.

4. Are there any restrictions on how I can use or sell the free Latex viewer software?

The only restrictions are those outlined in the license under which the software was distributed. These may include requirements for attribution, sharing modifications, and distributing the software under the same license.

5. Can I sell the free Latex viewer software under a different name or branding?

Yes, you can sell the free Latex viewer software under a different name or branding as long as you follow the terms of the original license. However, it is recommended to keep the original name and branding to avoid confusion for users.