Dealing with RFI from Expensive LED Lighting: Tips and Experiences

In summary, the speaker has recently installed expensive LED luminaires in their building extension. However, they are now experiencing significant interference on AM and FM radios throughout the house. Despite the CE markings and certifications, the speaker is disappointed and plans to try delta suppressors to mitigate the issue. They also mention seeking advice and welcome any comments or experiences.
Studiot
I have just fitted two (very expensive) UK mains - 14 watt (120 watt tungsten equivalent, 28 watt CFL equivalent) LED luminaires in a building extension.

I am now picking up intolerable interference on both AM and FM radios, throughout the house.

Considering the cost, CE markings and other certifications and pedigree, this is very disappointing.

I am plannning to try some delta suppressors and will report in due course. When I take the units down to fit the suppressors I will take some photos.

Meanwhile any comments or experiences welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That is indeed disapointing. Especially with the CE mark, they should be at least Level A emissions compliant. I wonder if it would be worth a call to their support folks...

I'm not sure what a delta suppressor is, but some kind of clamp-on ferrite on the power wires may help. Let us know what you find!

1. How can RFI from expensive LED lighting be identified?

RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from LED lighting can be identified by using a spectrum analyzer or a radio frequency field strength meter. These devices can detect the frequencies emitted by the LED lights and determine if they are causing interference.

2. What are some common sources of RFI from LED lighting?

The most common sources of RFI from LED lighting are poor quality LED drivers, LED bulbs with poor shielding, and incorrect installation or wiring. Additionally, electrical wiring and power lines can also cause RFI when they are in close proximity to LED lights.

3. How can RFI from LED lighting be reduced or eliminated?

To reduce or eliminate RFI from LED lighting, it is important to use high quality LED drivers and bulbs with proper shielding. Proper grounding and wiring techniques can also help reduce RFI. In some cases, adding ferrite beads or filters to the electrical circuit can also help reduce interference.

4. Can RFI from LED lighting affect other electronic devices?

Yes, RFI from LED lighting can affect other electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and wireless communication devices. This interference can cause disruptions or malfunctions in these devices, making it important to address and reduce RFI from LED lighting.

5. Are there any regulations or guidelines for dealing with RFI from LED lighting?

Yes, there are regulations and guidelines set by organizations such as the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) and IC (Industry Canada) that specify the acceptable levels of RFI emitted by electronic devices, including LED lighting. It is important to ensure that LED lighting meets these standards to avoid causing interference to other devices.

Back