Solve With Variation of Parameters

In summary, the Wronskian for the given solutions is t^3e^t and after correcting this, the particular solution will match the answer in the back of the book.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

Find the particular solution to [itex]t^2 y'' - t(t + 2)y' + (t+2)y = 2t^3[/itex] given that y1 = t and y2 = tet are solutions. Also, require that t > 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewrite the original equation as [itex]y'' - ((t + 2)/t)y' + ((t+2)/t^2)y = 2t[/itex]

So first I calculate the Wronskian: [itex]W(t,t*e^t) = t^2e^t[/itex]. Thus, I have that
[itex]Y = -t \int \frac{t*e^t * 2t}{t^2e^t} dt + t*e^t \int \frac{2t^2}{t^2*e^t}dt = -t \int 2 dt + t*e^t \int 2*e^{-t} dt = -2t^2 - 2t[/itex], which I think is the particular solution.

However, the answer in the back of the book has no -2t term, so where have I gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your solution attempt with us. I believe the mistake in your solution lies in the calculation of the Wronskian. The correct Wronskian for the given solutions is W(t,t*e^t) = t^3e^t, which will change the rest of your calculations accordingly. After correcting this, I believe your particular solution will match the answer in the back of the book. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the "variation of parameters" method?

The variation of parameters method is a mathematical technique used to solve non-homogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a particular solution by substituting a variation of the unknown function into the original equation and solving for the coefficients.

2. When is the variation of parameters method used?

The variation of parameters method is typically used when the non-homogeneous term in a linear differential equation cannot be easily factored or when the equation is too complex to be solved using other methods.

3. How does the variation of parameters method differ from the method of undetermined coefficients?

The variation of parameters method is an extension of the method of undetermined coefficients, which is used to solve homogeneous linear differential equations. However, in the variation of parameters method, the particular solution is not assumed to have a specific form and is instead determined by the variation of parameters.

4. What are the steps involved in using the variation of parameters method?

The steps for using the variation of parameters method are as follows: 1. Find the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation 2. Determine the variation of parameters by setting up a system of equations 3. Solve for the coefficients 4. Substitute the variation of parameters into the original equation to find the particular solution 5. Add the particular solution to the general solution to obtain the complete solution.

5. Are there any limitations of the variation of parameters method?

The variation of parameters method can only be used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. It also requires the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation to be known, which may not always be possible to find. Additionally, the method can become quite complicated for higher order differential equations with multiple non-homogeneous terms.