Do More Double Bonds in Hydrocarbons Require Higher Melting Temperatures?

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: So, in summary, the last amount of heat needed to liquify a hydrocarbon is less with a hydrocarbon with 1 double bond than with a hydrocarbon with 2 double bonds.
nemzy
A hydrocarbon that has lots of double bonds takes more energy to melt, so therefore takes more heat than a hydrocarbon with less double bonds right?

so a hydrocarbon with no double bonds will require the least amount of energy, so the last amount of heat

is my concept right?

thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm sorry,but i don't see a direct connection between the number of double bonds in a carbon compound and the liquifying latent heat.The latter has to do with the crystaline structure of the solid hydrocarbon and the intermolecular bonds and not necessarily with the intramolecular bonds.

Perhaps someone else could come up with the connection u're searching for...

Daniel.

Well, alkenes are generally more polarizable than alkanes, so you would expect a higher boiling point based on dispersion forces.

nemzy said:
A hydrocarbon that has lots of double bonds takes more energy to melt, so therefore takes more heat than a hydrocarbon with less double bonds right?
Assuming that the hydrocarbon is in a liquid form then if you heat some of it it will produce smoke. If the smoke is 'smokey' then it has more alkenes in it. If the smoke is more whispy then it has more alkanes in it.

This may not have been explained well.

The Bob (2004 ©)

ok, well here is the exact details of the problem:

which fatty acid melts at the highest temperature (solid to liquid)

(order from lowest to highest temp required to melt)
Don't know how to draw on here, so i will just explain it to you

1) a 17 long hydrocarbon chain with a Carboxyl group attached at the end. Has no double bond

2) a 17 long hydrocarbon chain with a Carboxyl group attached at the end. Has 1 double bond

3) a 17 long hydrocarbon chain with a Carboxyl group attached at the end. Has 2 double bonds.

My guess is that 1 requires least and 3 requires most temperature

What are alkanes and alkenes?

Alkanes and alkenes are hydrocarbons, which means they are compounds made up of only carbon and hydrogen atoms. Alkanes have only single bonds between carbon atoms, while alkenes have at least one double bond between carbon atoms.

How does heat affect alkanes and alkenes?

Heat can cause alkanes and alkenes to undergo chemical reactions, such as combustion or cracking. It can also affect the physical properties of these compounds, such as their boiling point and melting point.

What is the difference between alkanes and alkenes in terms of heat stability?

Alkenes are generally more reactive and less stable than alkanes, which means they are more likely to undergo chemical reactions when exposed to heat. This is due to the presence of the double bond in alkenes, which is more reactive than the single bonds in alkanes.

Can alkanes and alkenes be used as fuels?

Yes, both alkanes and alkenes can be used as fuels because they have high energy content and can undergo combustion reactions to produce heat and energy. However, alkenes are more commonly used as fuels due to their higher reactivity and ability to produce more energy per unit mass.

What are some practical applications of alkanes and alkenes?

Alkanes and alkenes have many practical applications, including as fuels, solvents, and raw materials for the production of plastics, detergents, and other chemicals. They are also used in the production of food and pharmaceuticals, and as lubricants and additives in various industries.