Hydraulic lift problem - hot hydraulic fluid

In summary, the speaker has a hydraulic system that can lift loads heavier than 1 tonne, but the hydraulic fluid often becomes too hot and causes the system to lose power. They have temporarily solved the issue by increasing the flow rate, but this is above the permitted rate and could potentially damage the system in the future. They are seeking advice on how to address this issue, and whether cooling the fluid or reducing the hoist speed could help.
osborn3
I have hydraulic system that lift something heavier than 1 tonne. My problem is the hydraulic fluid always get so hot and sometimes because of the heat it could not lift its load (loss power). I tried to increase its flow rate and its worked for now. But it way above the permitted flow rate. I am scared that what I've done could damage the system in future. What should I do?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you cool the fluid in your system?
Alternatively, it may be that your pump is overloaded. Maybe if you reduced the hoist speed your pump would cope better.

What is a hydraulic lift?

A hydraulic lift is a type of machine that uses a liquid, usually oil, to transfer force from one point to another. It is commonly used to lift heavy objects or vehicles.

What is the problem with hot hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic lift?

The problem with hot hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic lift is that it can cause the lift to malfunction or even fail. Hot fluid can lead to decreased viscosity, increased leakage, and decreased overall lift performance.

Why does hot hydraulic fluid cause problems in a hydraulic lift?

Hot hydraulic fluid causes problems in a hydraulic lift because it changes the physical properties of the fluid. When heated, the fluid becomes thinner and less able to create the necessary pressure to lift heavy objects. It can also cause seals and other components to deteriorate faster, leading to potential leaks and failures.

How can hot hydraulic fluid be prevented in a hydraulic lift?

Hot hydraulic fluid can be prevented in a hydraulic lift by regularly monitoring and maintaining the fluid levels and temperature. Properly sized reservoirs, cooling systems, and temperature sensors can also help regulate the temperature of the fluid. It is important to also follow manufacturer's recommendations for operating temperature and fluid change intervals.

What should I do if I encounter hot hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic lift?

If you encounter hot hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic lift, it is important to shut down the lift and allow it to cool down before further operation. Check the fluid level and temperature and make any necessary adjustments. If there are signs of leakage or other issues, it is best to consult a professional for repairs.