Moment of inertia of system in 3D

In summary, the moment of inertia of a 3D object is a sum of the moments of inertia of its individual objects.
PJani
Hey i am working on something and i need to know how to calculate moment of inertia of a 3D system of objects.

I know these variables:
Mass of whole system
Center of mass of whole system

Center of mass of each object
Offset of each object
Mass of each object
Moment of Inertia of each individual object(its precalculated)

I think i need to use parallel axis theorem but i am not sure how to actually calculate the "sum".

Is this right:

[itex]\vec{I_i}= \vec{I_{com_i}} + mass_i * (\vec{com_{system}}-\vec{offset_i} + \vec{com_i})^2[/itex]
[itex]\vec{I_{system}} = \sum^{N}_{i=1}{\vec{I_i}} [/itex]

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PJani said:
Hey i am working on something and i need to know how to calculate moment of inertia of a 3D system of objects.

I know these variables:
Mass of whole system
Center of mass of whole system

Center of mass of each object
Offset of each object
Mass of each object
Moment of Inertia of each individual object(its precalculated)

I think i need to use parallel axis theorem but i am not sure how to actually calculate the "sum".

Is this right:

[itex]\vec{I_i}= \vec{I_{com_i}} + mass_i * (\vec{com_{system}}-\vec{offset_i} + \vec{com_i})^2[/itex]
[itex]\vec{I_{system}} = \sum^{N}_{i=1}{\vec{I_i}} [/itex]

?
How are you defining an object's "offset"? I expected it to mean offset of object's c.o.m. from system's c.o.m., which would be [itex] \vec{com_i}-\vec{com_{system}}[/itex].
Anyway, assuming you want the MI about the system's c.o.m, I make the answer
[itex]\vec{I_i}= \vec{I_{com_i}} + mass_i * |\vec{com_i}-\vec{com_{system}}|^2[/itex]

haruspex said:
How are you defining an object's "offset"? I expected it to mean offset of object's c.o.m. from system's c.o.m., which would be [itex] \vec{com_i}-\vec{com_{system}}[/itex].
Anyway, assuming you want the MI about the system's c.o.m, I make the answer
[itex]\vec{I_i}= \vec{I_{com_i}} + mass_i * |\vec{com_i}-\vec{com_{system}}|^2[/itex]

offset is position of object from center of system(not the [itex]com_{system}[/itex]) the [itex]com_i[/itex] is "local" center of mass.

PJani said:
offset is position of object from center of system(not the [itex]com_{system}[/itex]) the [itex]com_i[/itex] is "local" center of mass.
OK, so is the MI required about the system c.o.m. or about the system centre (= origin?).
Anyway, my equation was wrong because I forgot to say that the vectors to use are only the components orthogonal to the axis of rotation.

Actually is the system centre. The system com is not "known" till the end of calculation/iteration

How do you mean by orthogonal. Because everything is axis aligned...

The full expression of moment of inertia of a 3D object is a matrix. If you know the specific axis you care about then you can take moments about that, but things can tricky. If that is not a principal axis of the object then rotation about it will not be stable. And in general it's not even stable about all of the principal axes.

1. What is moment of inertia of a system in 3D?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a system that measures its resistance to rotational motion around a specific axis. In 3D, this includes rotation along multiple axes.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a 3D system?

The moment of inertia for a 3D system can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the system and the square of its distance from a chosen axis of rotation.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of how the mass of a system is distributed in relation to its axis of rotation, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in a system.

4. How does moment of inertia affect rotational motion in a 3D system?

The moment of inertia of a system affects its rotational motion by determining how much torque is required to rotate the system around a given axis. A higher moment of inertia means a higher resistance to rotational motion.

5. What are some real-world examples of moment of inertia in 3D systems?

Some examples of moment of inertia in 3D systems include a spinning top, a rotating wheel, and a swinging pendulum. In each of these cases, the mass of the system is distributed in a way that affects its rotational motion.