Understanding Crystal Structure Basics: Q&A with the Experts

In summary, the conversation revolves around questions related to crystal structures, specifically about unit cells and primitive basis vectors. The first question is about the family members of a specific plane in a cubic crystal, with the attempted answer providing several possible vectors that represent the same plane. The second question is about the construction of a primitive unit cell for an fcc crystal, with the attempted answer mentioning the Wigner Seitz cell and asking for clarification on the question. The third question is about the primitive basis vectors for a bcc unit cell and the volume of the primitive unit cell, with the attempted answer expressing uncertainty about the correct approach.
shayaan_musta
Hello experts!

Q#1) Write down the family members of {110} plane in a cubic crystal.

Attempted Answer) According to my study the this family has 6 members. But what are they? Are these the members (110),(101),(011),(-1-10),(-10-1),(0-1-1)?

Q#2) Describe the method to construct the primitive unit cell of an fcc crystal.

Attempted Answer) In this question I think examiner is asking to construct for Wigner Seitz cell for fcc. If it is so, then can you tell me how to construct it for fcc and as well as for bcc. If it is not the meaning of the question then kindly would you elaborate?

Q#3 Write down the primitve basis vectors for a bcc unit cell and show that the volume of primitive unit cell is [itex]\frac{a^{3}}{2}[/itex]

Attempted Answer) In question examiner is asking for primitive basis vectors for bcc. I don't know what should it be, may be this R=ra+rb+rc?
And how to show that volume for primitive unit cell is [itex]\frac{a^{3}}{2}[/itex]. How to start?

Can you tell me whether my answers are correct or wrong? If wrong the what should be correct one. Please guide me thoroughly.

Thank you. :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
shayaan_musta said:
Hello experts!

Q#1) Write down the family members of {110} plane in a cubic crystal.

Attempted Answer) According to my study the this family has 6 members. But what are they? Are these the members (110),(101),(011),(-1-10),(-10-1),(0-1-1)?

I don't remember the definition of family members but all of those vectors represent the same plane in cubic crystal, by symmetry

Q#2) Describe the method to construct the primitive unit cell of an fcc crystal.

Attempted Answer) In this question I think examiner is asking to construct for Wigner Seitz cell for fcc. If it is so, then can you tell me how to construct it for fcc and as well as for bcc. If it is not the meaning of the question then kindly would you elaborate?

Wigner Seitz cell is one type of primitive unit cell. The primitive unit cell, as opposed to the unit cell, has just one lattice point within it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigner–Seitz_cell

What is the difference between the (110) plane and the (-1-10) plane? What about the (-110) plane and the (110) plane?

NOTE: This is a question for the OP to think about, not something I actually want other posters to answer!

What is crystal structure?

Crystal structure refers to the arrangement of atoms, ions or molecules in a crystal. It is a three-dimensional arrangement that repeats periodically to form a crystal lattice.

What are the basic types of crystal structures?

The basic types of crystal structures are cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, monoclinic, triclinic, hexagonal, and rhombohedral. These structures are classified based on the symmetry of the crystal lattice.

How is the crystal structure determined?

The crystal structure is determined through diffraction techniques such as X-ray diffraction or electron diffraction. These techniques involve passing a beam of radiation through a crystal and analyzing the resulting diffraction pattern.

Why is understanding crystal structure important?

Understanding crystal structure is important because it helps in predicting the physical and chemical properties of a material. It also allows for the development of new materials with specific properties for various applications.

What factors can affect the crystal structure?

The crystal structure can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and chemical composition. These factors can cause changes in the arrangement of atoms or molecules within the crystal lattice, resulting in a different crystal structure.