Dirac's Quantum Mechanics - the definition of the time evolution operator

In summary, in the book "Principles Of Quantum Mechanics," Dirac defines the time evolution operator, denoted as \hat{T}, as a unitary operator that links the Schrodinger and Heisenberg pictures. This operator is defined in two different ways, as shown in equations 1 and 45, and while they are not identical, they are related as one is the adjoint of the other. This may cause confusion for readers, but it is important to understand that both definitions are valid and it is up to the reader to choose one for their own understanding.
Loro
Dirac's "Quantum Mechanics" - the definition of the time evolution operator

I'm reading Dirac's "Principles Of Quantum Mechanics" to learn more about the formal side of the subject.

I have a question about the way he defines the time evolution operator in the book. Either there's a mistake or I'm missing something.

In chapter 27 he says (eqn 1) that [itex]\hat{T}[/itex] is defined such that:

[itex]|P(t)> = \hat{T} |P(0)>[/itex]

Where |P(0)> is a ket at time t=0 , and |P(t)> - at time t
Or equivalently |P(0)> is a ket in the Heisenberg picture, and |P(t)> - in the Schrodinger picture.

So this implies that:

[itex]<P(t)| = <P(0)| \hat{T}^{\dagger} [/itex]

And then in chapter 32, eqn 45 implies that:

[itex]<P(t)| = <P(0)| \hat{T} [/itex]

And I understand, that we can define it both ways, since it's a unitary operator. But we should stick to one way of defining it, and I'm sure Dirac does. So what it is here, that I'm not understanding properly?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Loro said:
So what it is here, that I'm not understanding properly?
I think this is essentially the same misunderstanding about selfadjoint operators which I clarified in your other thread.

Thanks again,

But here [itex]\hat{T}[/itex] isn't self-adjoint. In fact it's unitary.

Yes, the T's are not identical, one is the adjoint of the other.

Thanks,

Yes. I'm sorry, but I still don't understand how this connects to my question.

1. What is Dirac's Quantum Mechanics?

Dirac's Quantum Mechanics is a mathematical framework developed by physicist Paul Dirac to describe the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is a combination of classical mechanics and quantum theory, providing a more complete understanding of the microscopic world.

2. What is the time evolution operator in Dirac's Quantum Mechanics?

The time evolution operator, denoted by U(t), is a fundamental concept in Dirac's Quantum Mechanics. It describes the change of a quantum system over time and is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time.

3. How is the time evolution operator derived in Dirac's Quantum Mechanics?

The time evolution operator is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time. The time evolution operator acts on the initial wave function to give the wave function at a later time.

4. What is the significance of the time evolution operator in Dirac's Quantum Mechanics?

The time evolution operator is significant because it allows us to predict the behavior of quantum systems at different points in time. It is a fundamental tool in understanding the dynamics of particles at the quantum level and has many applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum chemistry.

5. How is the time evolution operator used in practical applications?

The time evolution operator is used in practical applications by inputting initial conditions and using it to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a given time. It is also used in simulations and experiments to model and study the behavior of quantum systems under different conditions.