Determine output sequence given input sequence and state table

In summary: I appreciate the help!In summary, based on the given state table, the output sequence for the given input sequence (starting in state A) is 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0.
enmar

Homework Statement

For the state table shown below, show the output sequence when the input sequence is as given below. Assume the machine starts in state A.

x : 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
z :

x>0...1
A A,1 B,0
B A,0 C,1
C D,1 A,0
D A,0 B,1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no solution, or attempt. I just want to understand how to interpret the table, and how to determine the output as required in the problem. I have looked online and found similar looking tables, but I can't figure out how they're being interpreted. I also can't find anything in my book. Any help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that the current state of the sequence is A because of your initial condition. You also have information regarding the next output based on the next state. For example,

X: initial 1 1 1
Z: A A A A

Those are the output states for the next three x values. You know the state following your initial is A because your table shows that if x = 1 then you have a state output of A. If you have a value of 0 then you move to state B. Repeat the same thinking as you move through the other states.

I am confused when you say
You know the state following your initial is A because your table shows that if x = 1 then you have a state output of A. If you have a value of 0 then you move to state B.

If the current state is A, and the state table shows (B,0) for x=1 in state A, how are you determining that the output is A?

Sorry about that. Can you confirm what type of machine it is?

The information given in the original post is the entirety of the problem, sadly.

enmar said:

Homework Statement

For the state table shown below, show the output sequence when the input sequence is as given below. Assume the machine starts in state A.

x : 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
z :

x>0...1
A A,1 B,0
B A,0 C,1
C D,1 A,0
D A,0 B,1

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no solution, or attempt. I just want to understand how to interpret the table, and how to determine the output as required in the problem. I have looked online and found similar looking tables, but I can't figure out how they're being interpreted. I also can't find anything in my book. Any help is much appreciated.

(Don't know if you still have this question a week later, but) Something like this...

Code:
Input x :           1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1
Gives Next State:   B C A ...
With Output z :     0 1 0 ...

Can you fill in the rest now?

Thanks berkeman! I understand it now. That was a lot simpler than I originally thought.

What is the "input sequence" in a state table?

The input sequence in a state table refers to the series of inputs or events that trigger a particular state transition. It can be represented by a set of symbols or values that correspond to the different inputs.

What is the "output sequence" in a state table?

The output sequence in a state table refers to the series of outputs or actions that are associated with a particular state transition. It can be represented by a set of symbols or values that correspond to the different outputs.

How do you determine the output sequence given an input sequence and state table?

To determine the output sequence, you need to follow the input sequence through the state table. Each input will lead to a particular state transition, and the corresponding output for that transition will be the output for that input. Repeat this process for each input in the sequence to get the complete output sequence.

What is a state table used for?

A state table is used to represent the behavior of a system or process with a finite number of states. It shows the different states of the system, the events or inputs that trigger state transitions, and the corresponding outputs or actions for each transition.

What are the advantages of using a state table?

Using a state table helps to visualize and understand the behavior of a system, making it easier to identify potential errors or issues. It also makes it easier to modify or update the system by adding or removing states, inputs, or outputs. Additionally, state tables can be used to design and simulate complex systems before implementing them in real-life scenarios.