What is the proof for the property ⌊−x⌋ = −⌈x⌉?

• Thread starter twoski
  • Start date
I think they are considering the identity as a whole.In summary, the conversation discusses proving the identity ⌊−x⌋ = −⌈x⌉ and explores different approaches for the proof. One approach involves breaking the proof into cases based on the value of m, while another approach involves using the definition of the floor and ceiling functions. Ultimately, it is determined that the identity can be proved by showing that −⌊x⌋ and ⌈-x⌉ are equal, since they are both integers in the same range.
twoski

Homework Statement

Prove:

⌊−x⌋ = −⌈x⌉

⌈−x⌉ = −⌊x⌋ .

The Attempt at a Solution

Can i use the property ⌊x⌋ = n, x = n + m where 0 <= m < 1 or do i need to incorporate the negation into this property?

I think there would be 2 cases to this proof.

Case 1: m = 0, the lower bound.

Case 2: m = 1/2.

Case 3: m = 1, the upper bound.

I just don't know how i'd go about proving these cases.

Physics news on Phys.org
twoski said:
Can i use the property ⌊x⌋ = n, x = n + m where 0 <= m < 1
Yes, that's a valid relationship regardless of the sign of x.
I think there would be 2 cases to this proof.

Case 1: m = 0, the lower bound.
Case 2: m = 1/2.
That wouldn't be very satisfactory. You really need to prove it for all m in the range, not just special values.
Case 3: m = 1, the upper bound.
m < 1, so just two cases (as you wrote). But it probably isn't necessary to break it into separate cases for m at all. Separate cases for x +ve/-ve might be useful.

Oh, I'm not thinking straight today.

Looking at it again, wouldn't there be 2 cases, one where x is a whole number and one where it is a rational number? So in other words, the cases would be m = 0 and 1 > m > 0.

My professor has thus far taught us proofs involving floor/ceiling using the property that any value being floored/ceilinged can be expressed as x = n + m, and we manipulate m to come up with the cases.

twoski said:
wouldn't there be 2 cases, one where x is a whole number and one where it is a rational number?
I hope you mean "and one where it is not a whole number"; otherwise you're leaving out the irrationals. Anyway, as I said, I doubt it's useful to break it up that way. Go ahead and try it, but do the non-integer case first; I expect you'll find it handles both.

Proof for ⌊−x⌋ = −⌈x⌉

By the definition of the floor function, x – 1 < ⌊x⌋ ≤ x

It follows that −x + 1 > −⌊x⌋ ≥ −x

Next, let ⌈x⌉ = n where x ≤ n < x + 1

We note that -x ≤ −⌊x⌋ < -x + 1

Clearly, −⌊x⌋ = ⌈-x⌉

I found this proof online, i think it's kind of bogus since the result of the proof isn't what we set out to prove, the signs are misplaced. The steps seem correct up until the conclusion.

twoski said:
Proof for ⌊−x⌋ = −⌈x⌉

By the definition of the floor function, x – 1 < ⌊x⌋ ≤ x

It follows that −x + 1 > −⌊x⌋ ≥ −x

Next, let ⌈x⌉ = n where x ≤ n < x + 1

We note that -x ≤ −⌊x⌋ < -x + 1

Clearly, −⌊x⌋ = ⌈-x⌉
The above is correct, but the last step could be made clearer:
By definition, y ≤ ⌈y⌉< y + 1 for all y. Set y = -x:
-x ≤ ⌈-x⌉< -x + 1
So −⌊x⌋ and ⌈-x⌉ are both integers in the range [-x, -x+1). Since only one integer can be in that range, they are equal.
the result of the proof isn't what we set out to prove, the signs are misplaced.
It is the second part of the OP.

1. What is the significance of proving floor and ceiling in mathematics?

Proving floor and ceiling is important in mathematics as it helps in understanding the behavior of real numbers and their relationship with integers. It allows us to accurately round numbers to the nearest whole number, which is useful in many calculations and applications.

2. How do you prove floor and ceiling using mathematical equations?

To prove floor and ceiling, we use the following equations: floor(x) = n, where n is the largest integer less than or equal to x, and ceiling(x) = n+1, where n is the smallest integer greater than or equal to x. These equations help us to define the floor and ceiling functions and prove their properties.

3. Can you explain the difference between floor and ceiling?

The floor function rounds a real number down to the nearest integer, while the ceiling function rounds a real number up to the nearest integer. For example, the floor of 5.9 is 5, and the ceiling of 5.9 is 6.

4. What are some real-world applications of proving floor and ceiling?

Proving floor and ceiling has many real-world applications, such as in finance, where it is used to calculate interest rates and investment returns. It is also used in computer science for data storage and retrieval, as well as in engineering for calculations involving measurements and dimensions.

5. Is there a specific method for proving floor and ceiling?

Yes, there are several methods for proving floor and ceiling, including using mathematical induction, the epsilon-delta definition, and the properties of floor and ceiling functions. The method used depends on the specific problem and the level of complexity.