How Do You Simplify the Expression 1/3π(2h/3)^2 * h into 4π/27 * h^3?

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
I am going to assume that your question is asking how do you get from (1/3)∏(2h/3)^2 * h to 4∏/27 * h^3.The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, to get from (1/3)∏(2h/3)^2 * h to 4∏/27 * h^3, you would first square the fraction 2h/3 to get 4h^2/9, then multiply it by the fraction 1/3 to get 4h^2/27. This can then be simplified to 4/27 * h^3, which is equivalent to 4∏/27
nukeman
Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h ?

Homework Statement

Can someone please refresh me on the steps:

1/3∏(2h/3)^2 * h

HOW does that turn into:

4∏/27 * h^3

?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

1/3∏(2h/3)^2 * h

HOW does that turn into:

4∏/27 * h^3
?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What is (2h/3)2 ?

4h/9

nukeman said:
4h/9
Why didn't you square the h ?

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

1/3∏(2h/3)^2 * h
There is a lazy convention which unfortunately has been granted some legitimacy, where some people interpret your line of text to be something different to how most see it.

In your problem, since we know the answer we are working towards, we can work backwards to reveal what is intended, then proceed forwards and solve it.

To leave no doubt in anyone's mind, it is recommended that you be generous with the use of parentheses when forming expressions in text, e.g. write it as (1/3)∏(2h/3)^2 * h when that is what is intended.

Or, if you can find a genuine fraction character, you can use it to eliminate ambiguity, e.g., ⅓∏(2h/3)^2 * h

I have labored the point simply because some people interpret 1/3∏(2h/3)^2 to have an equivalence with
1/(3∏(2h/3)^2), but for your question such an interpretation does not lead to the given answer (so that is the only evidence we have that it is not the interpretation intended here).

1. What is the formula for "Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h"?

The formula for "Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h" is the formula for calculating the volume of a cone.

2. How do you use the formula for "Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h" to find the volume of a cone?

To use this formula to find the volume of a cone, you would need to know the height (h) and the radius (r) of the cone. You would plug these values into the formula, where h represents the height and r represents the radius.

3. Why is the number 1/3 included in the formula for "Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h"?

The number 1/3 is included in the formula because it represents the ratio of the volume of a cone to the volume of a cylinder with the same height and base. This is a fundamental mathematical concept.

4. Can I use this formula to find the volume of any cone?

Yes, you can use this formula to find the volume of any cone, as long as you have the necessary measurements of the cone (height and radius).

5. What are the units for the result of the formula "Simple question: 1/3pi(2h/3)^2 * h"?

The units for the result of this formula would be cubic units (such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters) since it is calculating the volume of a cone, which is a three-dimensional shape.