Is It Too Late to Pursue Genius in Math and Science?

• Thread starter mathgenius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Genius
In summary: They are seeking advice and thoughts on how to go about this and whether it is a realistic goal. While there are risks involved, the person is encouraged to follow their dreams and take steps to educate themselves in these fields. Others suggest starting with online courses and setting realistic goals.
mathgenius said:
but at least if I become a genius and make some breakthroughs, people will respect me for that.

I don't think this is a very good plan. Most researchers do not make "breakthroughs". They make incremental progress.

Also, I think you overestimate public acclaim. Can you name ten living famous mathematicians? Five? Three?

If this is what is drawing you to a career in research, you might well end up very disappointed.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're motivated by gaining recognition, trying to do novel stuff in science and math outside of a university while educating yourself from the ground up would have such a long period of time before you get any kind of recognition you might well lose motivation.

If your interested in science and math because of the subject matter and material itself, then I think you have a better chance to stay motivated.

mathgenius said:
This isn't about my schizophrenia. I just gave a reason as to why I can't be around people, so please don't use it against me. I've suffered with this illness for 6 years, 4 of which have been medicated. I'm now 26, not on medication and re-evaluating my life. It's really sad, because just a few years ago I was normal and life was great. From what I understand I'll probably have schizophrenia for the rest of my life, but at least if I become a genius and make some breakthroughs, people will respect me for that. Stephen Hawking comes to mind, for example, so things like this are possible, even though they may not seem very likely at first. Just give me the bennefit of the doubt, please.

I want to dedicate my life to science and math. I mean, I won't jusy be your typical student who goes to school for a couple of hours to listen to the teacher, then come home and do homework for an hour or two, and then spend the rest of the day having a life and going out with friends. My life as I knew it is over. I will sleep for 8 hours a night, leaving 14 hours to devote toward science and math. Some amazing things are bound to happen with so much effort being invested into such a pursuit.

I'm eighteen and I'm already doing that, but the reality is, chances of success are all up to the universe. I have no say in the matter. Play with mathematics because it is beautiful and because there is an intrinsic value to the knowledge, not because you want recognition from society. Do you know in exactly which field you want to devote the majority of your time? Any specific conjecture that has piqued your interest?

mathgenius said:
I want to dedicate my life to science and math. I mean, I won't jusy be your typical student who goes to school for a couple of hours to listen to the teacher, then come home and do homework for an hour or two, and then spend the rest of the day having a life and going out with friends.
This sounds more like a high school student to me...or maybe a student with a major outside of math and science. All of the students I know, including myself, spend numerous hours on homework and have to plan time for rest and recreation...and some of these students are only part time. Also depending on one's interest and life's circumstances, one may not get so much sleep every night, although it is best to get as much sleep as possible.

mathgenius said:
My life as I knew it is over. I will sleep for 8 hours a night, leaving 14 hours to devote toward science and math. Some amazing things are bound to happen with so much effort being invested into such a pursuit.
So start! If you want to teach yourself, there are numerous resources on this site for various subjects in math and physics. All the best with everything!

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread. You've been a big help to me and I owe you a dept of gratitude. Thank you again!

Any other insights are always welcome.

I better get studying!