Hormone causing reabsorption of glucose

• Thread starter Coldie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glucose
In summary: He was reasoning that cortisol would be a possible hormone that would control the reabsorption of glucose. I don't know if there is any evidence to support that.
Coldie
Can anybody tell me what the hormone that causes the reabsorption of glucose in the nephrons is?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
The reabsorption of glucose in the proximal tubule of the nephrons! Come on, SOMEone must know this!

I know of two. I don't know which one helps that process.

Antidiuretic Hormone (ADH), produced by the pituitary gland.
Aldosterone, produced by the adrenal cortex.

We're familiar with those two. ADH causes the reabsorption of water to increase, and Aldosterone just causes an increase in the reabsorption of Na+ and the excretion of K+. To my understanding, neither of these do anything concerning the reabsorption of glucose. That's why this was such a challenge. I've been unable to find anything on it yet, which is why I made thsi thread.

My memory is vague but I believe there is no hormonal effect.

100% of the glucose is absorbed in the proximal tubule of the nephron where very little hormonal effects are felt. That I know.

The glucose is absorbed via a facilitated transport system where the potential energy of the sodium ion is somehow used to go against the glucose concentration gradient. We also called it contransport and its mechanism is not fully known. (At least my vague reccollection of it). I think it appears that the affinity for the "carrier" for glucose in the epithelium is somehow enhanced by the attachment of the Na+ to that carrier. That's all I know, and I'm not sure if it answers your question.

Last edited:
That sounds good, and I'll approach my Bio teacher with that answer, but he did ask us for the hormone that caused it.

I have to agree with Adrenaline, that there is no direct hormonal control of the reabsorption of glucose in the proximal tubule. It's driven by an active transport process using a sodium/glucose symporter (as mentioned by Adrenaline) the carries in glucose by the co-transport of sodium down its concentration gradient. This gradient is maintained by a Na+-K+ ATPase which consumes ATP to pump out sodium and bring in potassium. This gradient is used to drive numerous processes throughout the body, especially in neurons. Now it could be argued that the sodium is controlled by hormones such as those listed at the bottom of http://sprojects.mmi.mcgill.ca/nephrology/ions/sodium.asp [Broken] and thus anything downstream of this is thus controlled by said hormones, but I would have to say that the question as you stated it is probably not directly mediated by a hormone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I'll e-mail him with that and see what he says about it.

Thanks for the bonus mark on the test, guys!:D

The answer he was looking for was cortisol, but your explanations were infallable. Thanks again!

How was he reasoning cortisol? I know of no evidence for that being a function of cortisol. :confused:

1. What is the hormone responsible for causing reabsorption of glucose?

The hormone responsible for causing reabsorption of glucose is insulin.

2. How does insulin cause reabsorption of glucose?

Insulin binds to receptors on cells in the body, signaling them to take up glucose from the bloodstream.

3. What happens when there is a deficiency of insulin?

When there is a deficiency of insulin, cells are not signaled to take up glucose, resulting in high blood sugar levels.

4. Can other hormones also cause reabsorption of glucose?

Yes, other hormones such as glucagon and cortisol can also cause reabsorption of glucose, but to a lesser extent than insulin.

5. How does the reabsorption of glucose affect the body?

The reabsorption of glucose helps to maintain stable blood sugar levels, providing energy for cells to function and preventing complications related to high blood sugar levels, such as diabetes.