Can I Note Attempted Work in My Post Without Showing Steps in Homework Forum?

• Thread starter Medgirl314
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the use of the template in the homework forum. The original poster asks if it is okay to note that they have attempted the problem but do not have work to show. They are told that the template is not optional and that they should write as much as they can remember about their attempt in order to receive accurate help. They also inquire about deleting unproductive posts and are informed that only mentors have that power. The importance of not editing posts after they have been answered is also emphasized. The original poster expresses gratitude for the polite and helpful answers.
Medgirl314
Hi, and thank you in advance for an answer,

I posted in the homework forum yesterday, and someone eventually helped me find a solution. I did the work myself, but neglected to fill in my previous work in the template. When I go to post, it seems to say it is optional to use the template. I had attempted this problem before, but got frustrated and threw away the paper, so I didn't have work to show, but I had attempted the problem. I must have been reported because I got a PM saying I broke the rules. My question is this: is it okay to note in the post that you have attempted the problem, but don't have work to show? Or *must* you show the steps you tried, even if they are nonsensical?

Physics news on Phys.org
The template is not an option. When you start a new homework thread, it says.

Use the template provided
• You must show your attempt at solving the problem
• Write the text of the problem here, not in an attachment or an image.

You should write as much as you can remember about what you attempted in solving the problem yourself. The reason for this is that without knowing what you have already tried and where you ran into trouble, the helpers have no idea where to start. Time is wasted by both the homework help seeker and the helpers when they have to start guessing "did you do this?", "can you explain "ABC", etc... The more information you provide in your first post the faster and more accurately you will be able to get help.

Okay, thank you! I must have seen a template on a different forum that was optional and confused it with the homework template.

Have a nice day!

We are NEVER ridiculing "nonsensical" steps made by OP here at PF. If the original poster is unaware of the nonsensicality in his or her post, we indicate that something is wrong with the logic. If OP is frustrated, and feel suspicious of her logic without being able to specify the precise place of the flaw, we will typically commend OP, along with giving her a nudge in the right direction.

If, however, the OP deluges PF with nonsensical posts declaring proving Einstein wrong or other similar stupidities, vanities and inanities, the OP will be banned.

Great, thank you! I know that some people who have an impressive knowledge of physics may have a difficult time understanding those who are still one their way, and would prefer my threads to be filled with helpful posts instead of ones by those who prefer to help with the math somewhat, but ridicule other's knowledge of algebra while doing so. If I make a thread, can I delete any posts I wish,e.g. unproductive ones, or does that power fall only to the mentors and advisors?

Within a time limit (24 hours, I believe), you can delete your own posts (but not MY posts; those are ALWAYS stellar, and are kept in a secret, high security PF archive! :smile:).
Do remember, though, that it is "bad form" to delete a post someone has taken her time to give a comment on.

The Delete option becomes explicit on the Edit menu.

Only mentors can delete posts made by other users. If you think a reply is really wrong/misleading, please report it - there is a "report" button in each post.

Thank you! Exactly my thoughts. The only reason I would wish to delete someone's post would be if they were unclear and snide, so I would hate for someone to come across the thread hoping to find an enlightening conversation about the problem, but instead find that it is unhelpful and snide. Thank you for your time and polite answers!

I think I misunderstood your post; read mfb's answer:
I thought you were asking about your OWN posts; those, you can remove, but never the posts made by others.
Sorry for that confusion..

Yes, we posted at the same time, and I didn't see your second until after I posted again. In that case, I mean report. Thank you again!

Just remember: while there exists a courtesy window when you can edit your own posts, once they were answered don't do it. You can correct them if something is wrong, but always do it in such a way your corrections are [STRIKE]obvious[/STRIKE] easily visible.

Good idea. Thanks!

Medgirl, so nice to see a positive attitude and desire to understand the rules!

Likes 1 person
Evo, it is also nice to see someone so knowledgeable about the rules and physics who is not, to be frank, a know-it all! Thank you for the polite and helpful answers!

1. What are the consequences of violating forum rules?

The consequences of violating forum rules can vary depending on the severity of the violation. It can range from a simple warning from moderators to a temporary or permanent ban from the forum. Repeat offenses may result in more severe consequences.

2. Can forum rules be changed or updated?

Yes, forum rules can be changed or updated by the forum administrators. It is important for users to regularly check for any updates or changes to the rules to ensure they are following them correctly.

3. Are forum rules the same for all forums?

No, forum rules can vary from forum to forum. Each forum has its own set of rules that are tailored to the specific community and its purpose. It is important to read and follow the rules for each forum you are a part of.

4. Are moderators responsible for enforcing forum rules?

Yes, moderators are responsible for enforcing forum rules and ensuring that all users are following them. They have the authority to issue warnings and consequences for rule violations.

5. What should I do if I see someone breaking forum rules?

If you see someone breaking forum rules, you can report it to a moderator or administrator. Do not engage with the user or try to handle the situation yourself. Let the moderators handle it in accordance with the forum's rules and guidelines.