What is a Golden membership ?

• Thread starter Maths Lover
  • Start date
In summary, there is a notice stating that a golden membership can be obtained by creating a link to Physics Forums on a website or blog. The differences between a golden membership and a regular membership are listed on the payments page, and supporting the forums is required to earn gold for free. Gold members do not have any additional control over the forum's content, but they do have perks listed on the website. There has been a suggestion to allow gold members to vote on certain forum decisions, but this idea has been deemed unnecessary and potentially problematic. Recently, there have been some modifications to the forum's features, but not everything is back to normal yet.
Maths Lover
There is a notice on my page here which tells me that I can get a golden membership by making a link to Physics Forums on my Website or Blog. But What is a golden membership?! What is the difference between it and my membership now?!

Physics news on Phys.org
The differences are listed https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php . And you support our forums, of course :).

Last edited by a moderator:
You can earn Gold for free here.

mfb said:
The differences are listed https://www.physicsforums.com/payments.php . And you support our forums, of course :).

I read so much to reach the point about golden members :D I understood that those members have some control about the contents on the the forum , is that all the story ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maths Lover said:
I read so much to reach the point about golden members :D I understood that those members have some control about the contents on the the forum , is that all the story ?
The perks are the one listed in the link above, any member is welcome to make suggestions, of course.

Maths Lover said:

No, those members have no control about the contents on the forum. Also, the "advantages" of gold are outdated. I'm not gold an I can see who's online.

Every member has a control over a content of a forum - as long as what they post is within our rules :tongue2:

Borek said:
Every member has a control over a content of a forum - as long as what they post is within our rules :tongue2:

Well,, gold members have no more control than "normal" members.. I believe that's what he asked. Gold members should be allowed to vote when choosing new mentors, HH, and all that. To make it more of a community decision, but not opened to everyone.

PF content is controlled by admins and mentors. They do a fabulous job.

Crake said:
Gold members should be allowed to vote when choosing new mentors, HH, and all that. To make it more of a community decision, but not opened to everyone.

As long as gold members are those paying for their title, this is asking for troubles - any idiot with lots of money could skew the results of any vote.

Gold members have their perks, and that's enough.

Borek said:
As long as gold members are those paying for their title, this is asking for troubles - any idiot with lots of money could skew the results of any vote.

Gold members have their perks, and that's enough.

Hum.. That does make sense. However, I think there are ways to avoid that. In order to vote, one would need to be gold AND have more than X posts. Obviously mentors vote would count more than gold members vote.. Perhaps have the mentors decide on a list of candidates beforehand..

Anyway, on the advantages of PF membership one can read "who's online". I'm not gold and I can see who's online.

Crake said:
Obviously mentors vote would count more than gold members vote.

That's the system we have now. Weight of Mentors votes is 1, weight of gold members is 0. And as it works quite good for many years there is no reason to change it.

I'm not gold and I can see who's online.

Things were modified in the Summer, apparently not everything is synchronized/back to normal. Thank you for letting us know.

Borek said:
That's the system we have now. Weight of Mentors votes is 1, weight of gold members is 0. And as it works quite good for many years there is no reason to change it.

loled. I get your point.. It would give you a lot more money though!

Borek said:
Things were modified in the Summer, apparently not everything is synchronized/back to normal. Thank you for letting us know.

No problemo

What is a Golden membership?

A Golden membership is a type of membership offered by certain organizations or businesses. It typically includes additional benefits or privileges compared to a regular membership, such as access to exclusive events, discounts, or special services.

What are the benefits of a Golden membership?

The benefits of a Golden membership may vary depending on the organization or business offering it. However, some common benefits may include early access to sales or promotions, priority customer service, and access to exclusive content or products.

How do I become a Golden member?

The process of becoming a Golden member may also vary depending on the organization or business. In most cases, you will need to pay a membership fee or upgrade your existing membership to a Golden membership. Some organizations may also have specific criteria or qualifications for becoming a Golden member.

Is a Golden membership worth it?

Whether a Golden membership is worth it or not depends on your personal needs and preferences. If you frequently use the benefits offered by the membership, then it may be worth the cost. However, if you do not take advantage of the benefits, it may not be worth the extra expense.

Can I cancel my Golden membership?

In most cases, you can cancel your Golden membership at any time. However, some organizations may have specific policies or fees associated with canceling a membership. It is best to check with the organization or business directly for their cancellation policy.