Can the VLE Generator accurately predict results for low reflux ratios?

In summary, the VLE generator can be used to calculate the vapor pressure and heat capacity simultaneously using the DIPPR equations. The calculations converge in five iterations, and the constants used come from the Perry's Handbook. Special thanks are given to Chestermiller for his help in creating the program. The VLE generator is still in beta stage and needs more suggestions and user feedback.
maistral
Yes, da, yes. :biggrin:

So this is my first VLE Generator using the Dalton's Law and Raoult's Law I managed to whip up in Excel. It simultaneously calculates the VLE using the DIPPR equations for vapor pressures and heat capacities. Obviously, this is still in BETA stage; so please do not expect anything grand. The instructions for the use of this thing is really, really simple: you simply select two components and press F9. Hue. :rofl:

Normally the calculations converge in five iterations. The calculated VLE and enthalpies can be found, copied and pasted somewhere else from the "DATA" tab. Constants here comes from the Perry's Handbook, 8th edition.

Special thanks to Chestermiller for helping me whip this thing up, in particular the enthalpy curves, and for everything I do not understand in the chemical engineering domain for that matter. My mind was literally in chaos when I wasn't sure with the enthalpy balances. :smile:

And yes, if you may have noticed, there's an option there which says "THERMODYNAMIC MODEL". Don't bother changing them yet, they aren't ready. And for the curious mind, I used the Newton Iteration and the Simpson's cubic integration method for the VLE and the enthalpies, respectively.

DISCLAIMER: I don't take any blame if a chemical plant blows up because of this program, or any untoward incident for that matter. :rofl: This is up here also because it needs more suggestions and other stuffs.

THE DOWNLOAD LINK!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

Oh, it's fine. The amount of downloads tho. I guess they don't want to give their input <_<

In any case, I'm trying to figure out ways to stabilize the generation of VLEs using SRK and PR in Excel; or even better I would like to extend it to even quartic EoSs or the virial ones, and if possible I would like to include activity models with them as well. As of the moment I managed to integrate NRTL, Wilson, van Laar and Margules models into the Excel spreadsheet with the Dalton-Raoult's laws. I'm trying to test it more to be sure; a download link might come soon. 8D

Thanks for doing this. I'll be a beta tester of your program for sure!

So this is what I have now...

I'm trying to make a PS distillation method spreadsheet that would work with that VLE generator.

So far, this is what I have. It's working now, except it iterates until tens of thousands (good-bye computer memory e.e)

Attachments

• hhh.jpg
    hhh.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 687
I don't quite understand the question. To test your PS implementation, you should run a case where the McCabe Thiele method give a good approximation. Then you should solve the problem both ways and compare the results. Once you are satisfied that the implementation works for such a case, you can start looking at cases where MT is not expected to do a very accurate job.

As far as your immediate problem is concerned, have you tried to run the calculation with a higher reflux ratio? Does the problem persist? Maybe you are running too close to the minimum reflux ratio, in which case you would have an excessive number of plates.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I don't quite understand the question. To test your PS implementation, you should run a case where the McCabe Thiele method give a good approximation. Then you should solve the problem both ways and compare the results. Once you are satisfied that the implementation works for such a case, you can start looking at cases where MT is not expected to do a very accurate job.

As far as your immediate problem is concerned, have you tried to run the calculation with a higher reflux ratio? Does the problem persist? Maybe you are running too close to the minimum reflux ratio, in which case you would have an excessive number of plates.

Chet

Yep, it happens when I run very low reflux ratios. Maybe it passed through the minimum reflux already. :|

1. What is Raoult's law VLE Generator?

Raoult's law VLE Generator is a tool used in thermodynamics to calculate vapor-liquid equilibrium (VLE) data based on Raoult's law. It is commonly used in chemical engineering and other fields to model the behavior of mixtures of liquids at different temperatures and pressures.

2. How does Raoult's law VLE Generator work?

Raoult's law VLE Generator uses the principle of Raoult's law, which states that the partial pressure of a component in a mixture is directly proportional to its mole fraction in the liquid phase. The tool takes in input data such as the components of the mixture, their mole fractions, and the temperature and pressure conditions, and calculates the corresponding vapor and liquid phase compositions.

3. What are the limitations of Raoult's law VLE Generator?

Raoult's law VLE Generator is based on the ideal solution assumption, meaning that it assumes that the interactions between the molecules in the mixture are the same as those between the molecules in their pure states. This assumption may not hold true for all mixtures, especially at high pressures or when there are significant differences in the molecular sizes or polarities of the components. Therefore, the accuracy of the results may be limited in these cases.

4. How accurate is Raoult's law VLE Generator?

The accuracy of Raoult's law VLE Generator depends on the accuracy of the input data and the validity of the ideal solution assumption for the given mixture. In general, it is more accurate for mixtures with similar molecular sizes and polarities and at lower pressures. For more complex mixtures, it is recommended to use more sophisticated methods such as activity coefficient models.

5. What are the applications of Raoult's law VLE Generator?

Raoult's law VLE Generator has a wide range of applications in various industries, including chemical production, petroleum refining, and pharmaceuticals. It is used to design and optimize separation processes, such as distillation and extraction, and to determine the composition of mixtures in different stages of these processes. It is also used in the development of new products and the analysis of environmental and atmospheric conditions.