Finding Max Volume for evaporation

In summary, the problem at hand is to calculate the maximum volume of 70% isopropyl alcohol that can be used in a woosh bottle, where the alcohol is ignited and evaporated to generate a flame. The known variables include pressure, volume, and temperature, and the goal is to determine the final number of moles of alcohol, water, oxygen, and nitrogen present after the alcohol has evaporated and reached equilibrium with air. Despite numerous attempts and equations, the problem remains unsolved due to an insufficient amount of information.
Reegus
So this is the problem that I am working on. It is a woosh bottle where I am inputting 70% isopropyl alcohol, closing the top and waiting for the alcohol to evaporate. This mixture is then ignited to generate a flame. My job for this project is to calculate the maximum volume of 70% isopropyl alcohol where all of the alcohol evaporates.
Here hows I attempted to solve the problem
Knowns
P*(init)=1atm
V=2L
T=298k
Then I just started writing up equations
V=Vliq+Vgasinit %I am saying that the inital amount of gas in my 2L bottle plus the volume of the alchol is equal to the total volume in the container.
Pinit*Vgasinit=n(init)*R*T %Perfect gas law for the container originally
n(init)=n(O2)+n(N2) %The has is just oxygen and nitrogen as first (air)
.21n(init)=n(O2)
.79n(init)=n(N2)
n(final)-n(water)-n(alcohol)=n(init) %The number of moles after the fuel has evaporated and come to equilibrium with air
P(final)*V=n(final)*R*T
n(final)=n(alcohol)+n(H2O)+n(O2)+n(N2) %The n alcohol is the 70% of the isopropyl and 30% is water which is where I got the n(H20)
I been looking at this problem for hours and can seem to figure out where to go. With the amount of equations I have made up, I have way morre unknowns than equations. Is there something to do with raoults law that I can do or this problem just not possible with the amount of information that I know.
Any help would really be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the purpose of finding the maximum volume for evaporation?

The purpose of finding the maximum volume for evaporation is to determine the optimal conditions for evaporation to occur. This includes identifying the ideal temperature, airflow, and surface area to maximize the rate of evaporation.

2. How is the maximum volume for evaporation calculated?

The maximum volume for evaporation is calculated by measuring the amount of liquid or solution before and after the evaporation process. The difference between the initial and final volume is the maximum volume for evaporation.

3. What factors affect the maximum volume for evaporation?

The factors that affect the maximum volume for evaporation include temperature, humidity, air flow, surface area, and the properties of the liquid or solution being evaporated. Other factors such as altitude and atmospheric pressure may also have an impact.

4. What techniques can be used to increase the maximum volume for evaporation?

There are several techniques that can be used to increase the maximum volume for evaporation, including increasing the surface area of the liquid or solution, increasing the temperature, using a fan or other means to increase air flow, and decreasing the humidity in the surrounding environment.

5. How is the maximum volume for evaporation important in scientific research?

The maximum volume for evaporation is important in scientific research as it allows for the optimization of evaporation processes, which are often used in various laboratory techniques such as distillation, chromatography, and crystallization. It also provides insight into how different factors can affect the rate of evaporation and can help in the development of more efficient and effective evaporation techniques.