Where Should I Place Sacrificial Anodes for a Tank?

In summary, the conversation is about the placement and spacing of sacrificial anodes for a tank made of A36 steel that will be holding drilling mud at ambient temperature. The person is asking for information on how far apart the anodes should be spaced and what factors affect the spacing.
jddj
I have been searching the internet and this forum for information on where to place anodes or how far away they should be spaced but have not had much luck. I am trying to design a sacrificial anode system for the inside of a tank. Does anyone have any info to help or send me in the right direction.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
jddj said:
I have been searching the internet and this forum for information on where to place anodes or how far away they should be spaced but have not had much luck. I am trying to design a sacrificial anode system for the inside of a tank. Does anyone have any info to help or send me in the right direction.

Thanks
What fluid or gas is contained in the tank? At what temperature will the contents of the tank be held, or what temperature range will be used? Of what metal or alloy is the tank composed?

The tanks will be holding drilling mud near ambient temperature and they are made of A36 steel, what I am really looking for is somewhere I can find info on how far anodes need to be spaced out and what factors affect spacing,

Thanks for the help

1. What is a sacrificial anode?

A sacrificial anode is a piece of metal, usually made of zinc or magnesium, that is attached to a metal structure or object that is at risk of corrosion. The anode is more active than the metal it is protecting, so it will corrode instead of the protected metal.

2. Why is sacrificial anode placement important?

Sacrificial anode placement is important because it helps prevent the corrosion of metal structures and objects. By placing the anode in the right location, it will attract the corrosive elements and corrode itself instead of the protected metal, extending the lifespan of the structure or object.

3. How do you determine the placement of sacrificial anodes?

The placement of sacrificial anodes is determined by conducting a thorough inspection of the metal structure or object and identifying the areas that are most likely to corrode. These areas are usually where there is a change in material, joints, or connections. The anodes should be placed in these high-risk areas to provide maximum protection.

4. Can sacrificial anodes be used in all environments?

While sacrificial anodes are effective in most environments, they are not suitable for use in all conditions. For example, they are not effective in freshwater environments and may not be as effective in extreme temperatures. It is important to consult with a corrosion expert to determine the best anode type and placement for a specific environment.

5. How often should sacrificial anodes be replaced?

The frequency of sacrificial anode replacement depends on several factors, such as the type of anode, the environment, and the amount of corrosion taking place. Generally, anodes should be replaced every 3-5 years, but it is important to regularly inspect the anodes and replace them if they have corroded significantly or if there is a noticeable decrease in their size.