What does the geodesic equation for a surface involve?

In summary, the conversation is about the equation of a geodesic for a surface given by z=f(x,y). The equation is a(x)y''(x)=b(x)y'(x)^3+c(x)y'(x)^2+d(x)dxdy-e(x), and the functions a,b,c,d,e are not important. The question is about the terms involving \frac{dy}{dx} and dxdy and where this equation comes from. It is mentioned that the equation should come from the tensor one involving Christoffel symbols. The equation was found in Bronstein Taschenbuch der Mathematik, but the other person is unable to access the book and asks for another source, preferably online. A scan of the
kleinwolf
I don't understand the equation of the geodesic y=y(x) for the surface given by z=f(x,y) :

[tex] a(x)y''(x)=b(x)y'(x)^3+c(x)y'(x)^2+d(x)dxdy-e(x) [/tex]

the functions a,b,c,d,e are here not very important, what I don't understand, is that there is terms in [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] and [tex]dxdy[/tex]...What does this mean ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get that equation...?It should come from the tensor one involving Christoffel symbols.

Daniel.

This is the equation in the special case where z=f(x,y)...the geodesics being given in the direct form : y=y(x)...I got this in Bronstein Taschenbuch der Mathematik.

I'm sorry,i can't get that book.Could u please indicate other source (it would be sizzling,if online) ?

Daniel.

Here is a scan :

Attachments

• geod.jpg
    geod.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 407
It's a typo,i'm sure the German dude meant the derivative of the first order

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} [/tex].

Daniel.

1. What is a geodesic equation for a surface?

The geodesic equation for a surface is a mathematical expression used to describe the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. It takes into account the curvature of the surface and determines the path that minimizes the distance between the two points.

2. How is the geodesic equation derived?

The geodesic equation is derived using the principles of differential geometry, specifically the concept of a geodesic curve. This is a curve that, when parameterized, has its tangent vector parallel to the surface's normal vector at each point along the curve.

3. What is the significance of the geodesic equation for a surface?

The geodesic equation is significant because it allows us to find the shortest path between two points on a curved surface. This is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics as it helps us understand and analyze the behavior of objects moving on curved surfaces.

4. How does the geodesic equation relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

In Einstein's theory of general relativity, the geodesic equation is used to describe the path of a particle moving under the influence of gravity. This equation is used to determine the trajectory of objects in the presence of a massive body, such as a planet or star.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the geodesic equation for a surface?

Yes, the geodesic equation has various real-world applications. For example, it is used in navigation and mapping systems to find the shortest path between two locations on a curved surface. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements of objects on curved surfaces.