Plastic shredder for shredding plastic?

• Thread starter IanJohnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plastic
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a shredder to shred failed 3D prints, primarily made of ABS. The individual is considering using plastic materials such as acrylic or polycarbonate, but is concerned about their durability and ability to maintain a sharp edge. However, it is concluded that plastic materials are not suitable for this task due to their low strength and tendency to wear out quickly. It is suggested to use a material with higher tensile strength, such as steel.
IanJohnson
I am looking into the possibility of making this shredder to shred failed 3D prints, mostly ABS.

https://grabcad.com/library/mini-shredder--1

Here is a printed version, which can't shred plastic-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4rg--VEXVM

These are expensive to make in steel, but I was wondering if there was a plastic alternative that could at least handle ABS. Acrylic is pretty hard, and I can cut that on my laser cutter. Polycarbonate might work, though I would need to send it somewhere for CNC. What material properties are the most important for maintaining a sharp edge and resisting wear? Hardness? Impact resistance? At the very least it would need to be very stiff so it won't bend when it should shear.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello Ian,

Any plastic is not a good material for this task as all will wear out fast and definitely cannot keep an edge.
To give you an idea: The lowest steel has a tensile strength of 180 N/mm^2 while the best of the plastics is around 70 N/mm^2 (I do mean a solid piece). ABS has 30-40 and Acrylic has around 60-65. It will wear out in a few passes.

For holding an edge you need a hard material of which steel is the cheapest one i can think of.
Seek and purchase something like this in conjunction with some low power tools:
http://www.clasohlson.com/medias/sys_master/8873729818654.jpg

and remember to use a face mask as breathing in plastic powder is detrimental to your lungs.

1. What is a plastic shredder and how does it work?

A plastic shredder is a machine used to break down plastic into smaller pieces, making it easier to recycle. It works by using sharp blades to cut the plastic into smaller fragments, which can then be used for various purposes such as creating new plastic products or fuel.

2. What types of plastic can be shredded?

Most plastic types can be shredded using a plastic shredder, including PET, HDPE, PVC, LDPE, and more. However, some plastics with high melting points, such as polystyrene, may not be suitable for shredding. It is important to check with the manufacturer for specific plastic types that can be processed by the shredder.

3. What are the benefits of using a plastic shredder?

Using a plastic shredder has several benefits, including reducing the volume of plastic waste, making it easier to transport and recycle. It also helps to reduce plastic pollution, as shredded plastic can be repurposed for other products rather than ending up in landfills or oceans. In addition, shredding plastic can also save energy and resources compared to producing new plastic products.

4. How do I choose the right plastic shredder for my needs?

When choosing a plastic shredder, consider factors such as the type and volume of plastic you need to shred, the size and capacity of the machine, and the level of security required (e.g. cross-cut shredding for sensitive documents). It is also important to consider the maintenance and operating costs of the shredder. It is recommended to consult with a reputable manufacturer for guidance on choosing the right shredder for your specific needs.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when operating a plastic shredder?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to keep in mind when operating a plastic shredder. Always read the manufacturer's instructions and follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear, keeping hands and clothing away from the shredder's blades, and turning off the machine when not in use. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the shredder to ensure safe and efficient operation.