Double pipe heat exchanger design guide

In summary, the individual is looking for sources on heat transfer and mechanical design considerations for a double pipe heat exchanger designer software. They have already read some information online but are in need of a complete source. However, the complexity and number of parameters involved in practical design software suggest that it may not be feasible for an individual to undertake. They may find assistance with single phase fluids and isothermal phase change, but for more complex cases, established software packages or supportive suppliers may be necessary.
peymanj
hi friends, I am going to program a double pipe heat exchanger designer software and I need to every detail on heat transfer and mechanical design considerations.
I've read some on double pipe heat exchanger on net like this http://scopewe.com/double-pipe-heat-exchanger-design-part-1/ guide but i need a complete source if exists, I would appreciate if you could introduce some sources to me.
thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

I will suggest, with no disrespect intended, that the parameters and variable of practical design software are far to numerous for an individual undertaking. This would include all heat transfer and pressure drop coorelation applicable to shell-and-tube plus an additional array tube/fin geometries not usually associated with S&T. Beyond that the configuration of hairpin section (and the individual shell passes, legs?) among series and parallel piping and effective MTD is another complete overlay. The established major software packages or supportive suppliers limit the practicality of the effort you suggest.

For single phase fluids and isothermal phase change with a finned pipe-in-pipe, open literature and manual (or spreadsheet) calcs will offer you practical assistance.

1. What is a double pipe heat exchanger?

A double pipe heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger where two pipes, one inside the other, are used to transfer heat between two fluids. The inner pipe carries one fluid while the outer pipe carries the other fluid. This design allows for efficient heat transfer between the two fluids.

2. How does a double pipe heat exchanger work?

A double pipe heat exchanger works by using the principle of heat transfer through conduction. The hot fluid flowing through the inner pipe transfers its heat to the cooler fluid flowing through the outer pipe. This transfer of heat continues until both fluids reach an equilibrium temperature. The two fluids never come in direct contact with each other, ensuring a safe and efficient heat transfer process.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a double pipe heat exchanger?

When designing a double pipe heat exchanger, several factors should be taken into consideration, including the properties of the fluids being used, the desired heat transfer rate, the available space for installation, and the cost of materials and maintenance. It is also important to consider the flow rates, temperatures, and pressure drops of the two fluids to ensure efficient operation.

4. What are the advantages of using a double pipe heat exchanger?

There are several advantages to using a double pipe heat exchanger. Firstly, it is a simple and compact design, making it easy to install and maintain. It also allows for efficient heat transfer between two fluids, resulting in energy savings. Additionally, the two fluids are separated, preventing any cross-contamination and making it suitable for use with a wide range of fluids.

5. What are some common applications of double pipe heat exchangers?

Double pipe heat exchangers have a wide range of applications in various industries, including chemical processing, food and beverage production, HVAC systems, and power generation. They are commonly used for heating or cooling liquids, gases, and vapors in industrial processes, as well as for heat recovery and energy conservation purposes.