Is it useful to use patient data for mathematical formulation of tumor growth?

• Thread starter Purgum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical formulation for the growth of tumor cells, which is described by the differential equation P'(t) = (m-n)P(t). The exponential function can be used to model this growth, with the rate of change being a multiple of the current population. The conversation also addresses the use of data from 100 patients to determine the values of C, m, and n for each patient. It is noted that the data may be incomplete and that further statistical analysis may be needed to accurately determine the growth rate. Overall, the focus is on understanding and predicting the growth of tumor cells in relation to various factors.
Purgum
If a tumor cell grows with rate m, and dies with rate n (m>n), their population number is P, after tme t, how can set up a mathematical fomuler for growth ? If i also have data from 100 patients, is it useful ?
Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Essentially you are saying that the tumor cell grows with rate m-n so that you have the differential equation P'(t)= (m-n)P(t). Exponential functions have the property that their rate of change is a multiple of their value so P(t)= Ce(m-n)t.
I'm not sure what data you have but if you have P(t) for at least 3 different times for each patient, you can use the data to determine C, m, and n for each patient. Just put the values for t and P(t) into the equation and you will have three equations to solve for C, m, and n. If you have more than 3 "data points" for a patient, you can check how well those values correspond to P(t) calculated from the formula to see how good that model is. Of course, it would be interesting to see if m and n are at least approximately the same for the different patients.

If Purgum meant that rate is m-n, the differential eqn would be P'(t)=m-n.

However, I think, the data given is incomplete. The rate should be dependent in some way on the number of tumour cells; for example, the growth rate proportional to the no of tumour cells and death rate constant. The question given as such does not seem logical.

That's exactly what I said!

HallsofIvy said:
... I'm not sure what data you have but if you have P(t) for at least 3 different times for each patient, you can use the data to determine C, m, and n for each patient. ...
If you have lots of data, you can statistically estimate mi - ni (= net growth rate for patient i) through the regression equation:

Pi(t+1) = bi Pi(t) + ui(t)
where bi = mi - ni + 1 and you can test whether mi - ni > 0 by testing whether bi > 1 (that is, whether bi - 1 > 0);

or more generally:

Pi(t+1) = ai + bi Pi(t) + ui(t),
where you can also test the expectation ai = 0.

You need to check for serial autocorrelation; almost surely you will encounter positive autocorrelation (e.g. using Durbin-Watson test); if so, you'll need to correct for it.

You can also test whether m - n is identical across patients and/or over time for each patient, by building slightly more complicated regression equations.

Alternatively you may want to specify percentage growth rates (instead of linear as above).

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of formulating a formuler?

The purpose of formulating a formuler is to create a systematic and organized approach to solving a problem or conducting research. It helps to clearly define the objectives, methods, and expected outcomes of a study or experiment.

2. How do I begin formulating a formuler?

The first step in formulating a formuler is to clearly define the problem or research question. This will help guide the rest of the process and ensure that the formuler is focused and relevant.

3. What information should be included in a formuler?

A formuler should include the following information: the problem or research question, the objectives of the study, the methods and procedures to be used, the expected outcomes, and any potential limitations or challenges.

4. How can I make sure my formuler is effective?

To ensure the effectiveness of a formuler, it is important to regularly review and revise it as needed. It is also helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or experts in the field to ensure that all important aspects have been considered.

5. Can a formuler be applied to any type of research or problem?

Yes, a formuler can be used for a wide range of research and problems. However, it is important to tailor the formuler to the specific needs and objectives of each individual study or project.