Melt a Perfect Mirror: Atomic Mechanisms of Reflection

In summary, it is possible to melt a perfect mirror by radiative means if the atoms are able to firstly absorb the incoming photon and then re-emit it with the same energy. This is done by creating a temperature gradient without the flow of heat.
mezarashi
Homework Helper
Is it possible to melt a perfect mirror by radiative means? (reflects light of all frequencies with no absorption)

Which leads me to ask. What is the mechanism (at the atomic level), for the reflection of light? I've never had a satisfactory answer on the mechanism of reflection. Is it necessary for the atoms to firstly absorb the incoming photon, and then re-emit it? If so, what makes it make sure that the re-emitted light is identical to the incoming?

Science news on Phys.org
Such a mirror cannot exist at finite temperature since it could not possibly come into thermal equilibrium with its environment, i.e. a temperature gradient would have to exist without the flow of heat. Thermal equilibrium requires both emission and absorption of radiation and they occur equally in order to equilibrate.

Reflection from the surface of a mirror (metallic, e.g.) occurs as a result of electrons responding to the applied electromagnetic field in such a way that they exclude electric fields within the material. Accelerated charges radiate so that, in effect, they cancel the applied fields by reradiating EM fields out of phase with the applied fields within the material. The reradiated field outside the material is what we call the reflected wave.

Last edited:
mezarashi said:
Is it possible to melt a perfect mirror by radiative means? (reflects light of all frequencies with no absorption)
Which leads me to ask. What is the mechanism (at the atomic level), for the reflection of light? I've never had a satisfactory answer on the mechanism of reflection. Is it necessary for the atoms to firstly absorb the incoming photon, and then re-emit it? If so, what makes it make sure that the re-emitted light is identical to the incoming?

There have been several threads discussing such issue. You may look at one of them here...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showt...+reflection+transmission+conduction+electrons

Zz.

Sorry about that. The title of the thread was not immediately suggestive of the discussed contents. Thanks for the response and link.

1. How do mirrors melt?

Mirrors are made of a thin layer of metal, typically aluminum or silver, that is deposited onto a piece of glass. When exposed to high temperatures, this metal layer can melt and deform, causing the mirror to lose its reflective properties.

2. What causes mirrors to melt?

Mirrors can melt due to exposure to high temperatures, such as from fire or intense sunlight. They can also melt if they come into contact with a strong acid, such as hydrochloric acid.

3. Can mirrors be melted intentionally?

Yes, mirrors can be intentionally melted by heating them to a high temperature. This process is often used in industries such as glassblowing and metalworking.

4. What happens to a mirror when it melts?

When a mirror melts, the thin layer of metal on the surface becomes deformed and loses its reflective properties. The glass underneath may also warp or crack due to the heat.

5. Is it safe to touch a melted mirror?

No, it is not safe to touch a melted mirror. The metal layer may be very hot and can cause burns. Additionally, the glass may be sharp or jagged from the melting process, posing a potential risk for injury.