Herb Garden: Can I Beat the Odds and Succeed?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    garden
In summary: It also is nice in tea. I think I'd love to have mint take over my yard...can you imagine how nice it would be to walk outside barefoot in the summer and come in smelling all minty?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
I am the worlds worst gardener , plants seem to die when in my care, the thing
is i like fresh herbs, so i am thinking, if i start a herb garden in a large tub with
the best growing medium, and follow a strict watering regimen, i can not fail,
right ? or not. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Nonsense, you are a great gardener; you've kept many plants alive beyond their appointed time of death.

arildno said:
Nonsense, you are a great gardener; you've kept many plants alive beyond their appointed time of death.

:biggrin: I would like to think so, but when :confused: the only plants that
thrive under my care are cacti.

wolram said:
:biggrin: I would like to think so, but when :confused: the only plants that
thrive under my care are cacti.
But that just shows you are a cactile person, wollie!
It's nothing to be ashamed of.

arildno said:
But that just shows you are a cactile person, wollie!
It's nothing to be ashamed of.

I am not ashamed, it is just i am the unwilling embodiment of the anti gardener,
i want to be able to grow stuff, but the stuff refuses to play ball :grumpy:

Have you tried caressing their stems yet?
From what I know, that usually makes the plants grow.

Alternatively, you might try to sing to them.

arildno said:
Have you tried caressing their stems yet?
From what I know, that usually makes the plants grow.
Alternatively, you might try to sing to them.

I have heard that singing to them helps, but my tones are not dulcet or tuneful.

So is my idea good, or not ?

Last edited:
You could try growing mold-in-a-jar. It's very forgiving, and comes in all kinds of colors.

I can't grow a good cactus for anything...bleah.
Herbs...some are infallible..others are a bit more sensitive..try thyme..maybe some rosemary (in a different pot though...rosemary likes poor soul and will keel over if you feed it)...mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet...just don't confuse it with your cacti..

kat said:
I can't grow a good cactus for anything...bleah.
Herbs...some are infallible..others are a bit more sensitive..try thyme..maybe some rosemary (in a different pot though...rosemary likes poor soul and will keel over if you feed it)...mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet...just don't confuse it with your cacti..
That explains my herb garden mishaps. I tend to drown cacti. My rosemary never grew anything but bugs. Thyme seems to grow easily...I just dumped seeds in planters one year and by the end of summer, had lots of thyme...and it came back the next year too (usually I don't have that much luck with perennials in planters; I figure their roots are too exposed to cold compared with plants in the ground).

kat said:
mint grows beautifully and easily as long as you keep it sopping wet.
Do NOT let mint grow in open ground. Always plant mint in a pot even if it's in a bed. If you don't, it will take over. It grows too easily and can be very invasive. It is tough to get rid of when you don't want it.

FredGarvin said:
Do NOT let mint grow in open ground. Always plant mint in a pot even if it's in a bed. If you don't, it will take over. It grows too easily and can be very invasive. It is tough to get rid of when you don't want it.
True, I had to contain mine in cement blocks buried underground. I'm surprised mint hasn't already taken over the world.

Wolram, grow mint. :smile:

Evo said:
True, I had to contain mine in cement blocks buried underground. I'm surprised mint hasn't already taken over the world.
Wolram, grow mint. :smile:

But mint only goes with lamb :grumpy: :tongue2:

wolram said:
But mint only goes with lamb :grumpy: :tongue2:
It also is nice in tea. I think I'd love to have mint take over my yard...can you imagine how nice it would be to walk outside barefoot in the summer and come in smelling all minty? :biggrin:

What are the benefits of having a herb garden?

Having a herb garden can provide a variety of benefits. It can save you money by reducing the need to purchase herbs from the store. It also allows you to have fresh herbs readily available for cooking and can add flavor and nutrition to your meals. Additionally, gardening can be a relaxing and satisfying hobby.

What are the biggest challenges in maintaining a herb garden?

The biggest challenges in maintaining a herb garden include ensuring proper sunlight, water, and soil conditions for each herb. You also need to protect your plants from pests and diseases, and regularly prune and harvest to prevent overcrowding and promote healthy growth.

Can I grow a herb garden without a backyard or outdoor space?

Yes, you can still grow a herb garden without a backyard or outdoor space. Many herbs can be grown indoors on a windowsill or in a kitchen herb garden kit. You can also use containers or vertical gardening techniques to grow herbs on a balcony or small patio.

How long does it take for herbs to grow and be ready for harvest?

The time it takes for herbs to grow and be ready for harvest varies depending on the type of herb and growing conditions. Generally, most herbs can be harvested within 2-3 months of planting. However, some herbs may take longer to mature, while others can be harvested continuously throughout the growing season.

Are there any herbs that are particularly difficult to grow in a herb garden?

Some herbs may be more challenging to grow in a herb garden, such as cilantro and parsley, which are prone to bolting (producing flowers and seeds) in hot weather. Other herbs, like rosemary and lavender, may require specific soil and water conditions to thrive. However, with proper research and care, these herbs can still be successfully grown in a herb garden.