Calculating Static Friction Between Two Blocks on a Roughened Surface

In summary, the problem involves two blocks on a frictionless surface with a roughened area between them. A 30 N force is applied to the bottom block and the question is asking for the force of static friction between the two blocks. The answer is 10 N and to find this, the acceleration is calculated to be 2m/s^2. The force of static friction can be found using the formula fs=ma, but only for the top block since the net friction force on both blocks is zero due to Newton's third law.
BoogieL80
I was working the following problem:

Two blocks rest on a horizontal frictionless surfce (the top block being 5kg and the bottom block being 10 kg). The surface between the top and bottom blocks is roughened so that there is no slipping between the two blocks. A 30 N force is applied to the bottom block ( a 30 N horizontal force). What is the force of static friction between the top and bottom blocks

The answer key tells me that the answer to the problem is 10 N. I know that fsMAX = coefficednt of static friction * FN. I figured that the normal force for the top block is 49 N and the bottom block is 147 N. I can't figure out what combination of those numbers equal 10 N. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Find the acceleration.

Re

I know the acceleration is 2m/s, but I'm still a little loss. Do I just take into account the top block and say that since F=ma that fs=ma thus fs = (5kg)(2m/s^2)? If that is the answer, why just use the 5kg top block and not both the 5kg block and 10kg block?

That's the answer. To analyze the forces acting on the top block (such as the friction), apply Newton's 2nd law to the top block. (If you apply Newton's 2nd law to both blocks you will not learn anything about the friction between the blocks since, due to the third law, the net friction force on both blocks is zero.)

Re

Thank you :smile:

1. What is static friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it. It occurs when the surface of an object is in contact with another surface and the two surfaces are not moving relative to each other.

2. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction only occurs when an object is at rest, while kinetic friction occurs when an object is in motion. The magnitude of static friction is typically greater than that of kinetic friction.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of static friction?

The magnitude of static friction depends on the coefficient of static friction between the two surfaces and the normal force acting on the object. It also depends on the roughness and surface area of the two surfaces in contact.

4. How can I calculate the force of static friction?

The force of static friction can be calculated using the formula Fs = μs * N, where μs is the coefficient of static friction and N is the normal force. This formula is only valid when the object is not moving.

5. Can static friction be greater than kinetic friction?

Yes, static friction can be greater than kinetic friction. This is because when an object is at rest, the surfaces are in closer contact and can resist movement more effectively. As the object starts to move, the surfaces may slip and the force of kinetic friction decreases.