How Is Equilibrium Temperature Calculated in Isolated Thermodynamic Systems?

In summary, a mechanical engineering student has two questions for homework that they were unable to solve due to missed classes. The first question involves determining the final equilibrium temperature of an isolated system consisting of a 10 kg copper block and 0.2 kg of saturated water vapor. The second question involves finding the final temperature and calculating the heat transfer of a cylinder with ammonia at 1 MPa and 60 0C, and a spring constant of 150 kN/m. The student is advised to read the corresponding chapter in their textbook and attempt the questions before seeking help.
berthanas
hi I'm a mechanical engineering student. I've 2 questions as homework for tomorrow but since I've missed couple of classes i couldn't solve them. i'd appreciate if you may help me with these:

1.) An isolated system consists of a 10 kg copper block, initially at 30 0C , and 0.2 kg of saturated water vapor, initially at 130 0C.Assuming no volume change, determine the final equilibrium temperature of the isolated system.

2.) A cylinder fitted with a piston restrained by a linear spring has a cross-sectional area of 0.05 m2.The cylinder contains ammonia at 1 MPa ,60 0C, and a volume of 20L.The spring constant is 150 kN/m.Heat is rejected from the system, and the piston moves until 6,25 kJ of work has been done on the ammonia.

a.) Find the final temperature of the ammonia.

b.) Calculate the heat transfer for the process.

thanx already...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the policy here is to show your work, why don't you read the chapter of your book on this, and then post your attempt?

Hi there! I am happy to help you with your thermodynamics questions. Let's take a look at each question and work through them together.

1.) For this problem, we have an isolated system consisting of a 10 kg copper block and 0.2 kg of saturated water vapor. Since it is isolated, we know that there will be no heat or mass transfer with the surroundings. This means that the total energy of the system will remain constant. We also know that there is no change in volume, so the work done by the system will be zero.

To solve for the final equilibrium temperature, we can use the First Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. Mathematically, this can be written as:

ΔU = Q - W

Since there is no work done, we can simplify this to:

ΔU = Q

We can also assume that the copper block and water vapor will reach thermal equilibrium, meaning that they will have the same final temperature. We can write the energy equation for each substance as:

ΔU1 = m1c1ΔT1

ΔU2 = m2c2ΔT2

Where m is the mass, c is the specific heat, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Since the final temperature will be the same for both substances, we can set ΔU1 equal to ΔU2 and solve for the final temperature, T:

m1c1ΔT1 = m2c2ΔT2

m1c1(Tf - 30) = m2c2(Tf - 130)

Solving for Tf, we get:

Tf = (m1c1(30) + m2c2(130))/(m1c1 + m2c2)

Substituting in the values given, we get:

Tf = (10 kg * 386 J/kg*K * 30 K + 0.2 kg * 2000 J/kg*K * 130 K)/(10 kg * 386 J/kg*K + 0.2 kg * 2000 J/kg*K)

Tf = 34.8 °C

Therefore, the final equilibrium temperature of the isolated system will be 34.8 °C.

2.) For this problem, we have

1. What is the definition of thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationships between heat, energy, and work.

2. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are fundamental principles that describe the behavior of energy in a system. They include the first law, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted; the second law, which states that the total entropy of a closed system always increases over time; and the third law, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero temperature is zero.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in an object. In other words, heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of heat.

4. How does thermodynamics apply to everyday life?

Thermodynamics is applicable to many everyday phenomena, such as cooking, refrigeration, and energy production. It helps us understand how energy is transferred and converted in these processes, and how to make them more efficient.

5. What is the difference between an open and closed thermodynamic system?

An open thermodynamic system can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings, while a closed system can only exchange energy. In other words, in an open system, matter can enter or leave the system, while a closed system is isolated from its surroundings in terms of matter exchange.