Vector components on the tip of hand on a clock

In summary, the conversation is about a physics question asking to draw vector diagrams to scale for the velocity of the tip of a hand at different positions on the clock. The hand is 20cm long and the velocity at quarter past is 0.00034m/s. The person is asking if both the x and y-axis are 0.00034m/s or if they need to work out the components of motion at each position. They also ask for clarification on how to find the vectors using the formula FcosA.
tak160
Hiya all, I'm stuck on a physics question set for homework. It asks "draw vector diagrams to scale to show the vertical and horizontal components of the velocity of the tip of the hand at quater-past, twenty past, twenty-five past and half past the hour." The hand is 20cm long so using the circumference formula and dividing it by time, i get 0.00034m/s as the velocity at quater past. I've drawn the hands and the x and y-axis so is the x and y-axis both 0.00034m/s or that x=0.00034m/s and y=om/s? or do i have to work out the velocity of the tip at those points and then work out the components? if so, how do i do that?
thanx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you will need to work out the components of motion at each postion. Think about it! How is the motion different at 3 then at 9?

so will i have to make the verticle 0?

and will the points be 0.2266666m/s at 20 past and 0.0001133333m/s at 25 past and then use FcosA on the points to find the vectors?

1. What are vector components on the tip of hand on a clock?

Vector components on the tip of hand on a clock refer to the x and y coordinates that represent the position of the tip of the hand on a clock face. These coordinates are used to calculate the direction and magnitude of the hand's movement.

2. How do you determine the vector components on a clock?

To determine the vector components on a clock, you can use the unit circle and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The x-coordinate is represented by the cosine of the angle formed by the hand and the 12 o'clock position, while the y-coordinate is represented by the sine of the same angle.

3. Why are vector components important in clock movements?

Vector components are important in clock movements because they allow us to understand and predict the movement of the clock hands. By knowing the vector components, we can calculate the velocity and acceleration of the hand, which is crucial in creating accurate and precise timekeeping devices.

4. Can vector components on a clock be negative?

Yes, vector components on a clock can be negative. The x-coordinate can be negative when the hand is pointing to the left of the 12 o'clock position, while the y-coordinate can be negative when the hand is pointing below the 12 o'clock position. This is because the standard coordinate system has the positive x-axis pointing to the right and the positive y-axis pointing upwards.

5. How can vector components on a clock be applied in other scientific fields?

Vector components on a clock can be applied in other scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. In physics, they are used to study the motion of objects, while in engineering they are used to design and construct mechanisms that involve circular motion. In astronomy, vector components on a clock can be used to calculate the position and movement of celestial bodies.