Exploring the Possibility of Light as a Product of Higher Dimensions

• Thread starter Unit_Zer0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
What anomalies? What are you talking about?i'll get back to you on it in say 12-20 hours. Okay.ps i see where yer coming from but puting what I'm thinking into words is proving to be much harder than i had first anticipated.That's fine, but you didn't actually explain what you were thinking in the first place. In summary, the conversation revolves around the properties and behavior of photons, specifically their mass, momentum, and force exertion. The question is posed whether light can exist outside of the known dimensions, and if it is a product of the 5th dimension. The concept of "something for nothing" is discussed in relation to photons, along with their
Unit_Zer0
hi I'm new, i was doing some pondering after watching a show about new modes of transportation. one of the modes was for space travel and using solar sails. in the show it was stated that the main force would be from light emitted from the sun. i thought that was cool, as it was explained (and shown) that photons exert force upon the sail itself in a similar fashion to wind and conventional sails. i got to wondering how much does a photon weigh if anything. i say if anything because force = mass*acceleration. well at 186,000mps you'd think that we would be crushed by light. here's my question is it possible for light to actually not exist within known dimensions? that perhaps light is a product from the 5th dimension that warps the 3rd and 4th?

now for the biggy, do i sound stupid?

Science news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Unit_Zer0 i got to wondering how much does a photon weigh if anything.

Photons are massless, but they do carry momentum, and so can exert a force (which is change in momentum).

i say if anything because force = mass*acceleration. well at 186,000mps you'd think that we would be crushed by light.

You'll notice that the equation for force you gave doesn't actually involve speed, so where exactly are you trying to plug in 186,000 mps?

Depending on latitude, time of year, etc., the Sun radiates about 1360 watts per square meter of light upon the surface of the Earth. That's power per unit area, P/A. If we know power is energy per unit time P = dE/dt, and photon energy is related to momentum by E = pc, then the momentum per unit area per unit time is, (dp/dt)/A = F/A = pressure = (P/A)/c.

Therefore, sunlight exerts a pressure of 4.6 microPascals, or a force of 4.6 microNewtons upon one square meter, equal to the weight of a 460 microgram mass.

Note that the large numerical value of the speed of light contributes to the numerical smallness of the light pressure, since you're dividing by c.

here's my question is it possible for light to actually not exist within known dimensions?

If light doesn't exist within known dimensions, then how can we see it?

that perhaps light is a product from the 5th dimension that warps the 3rd and 4th?

If by "warps" you mean "curves", what does spacetime curvature have to do with anything? That would just induce a gravitational effect, but it wouldn't let us see light.

please forgive my lack of knowledge, if photons are massless and do carry momentum and can exert force then your getting something for nothing (this doens't include the source of the light)am i incorrect in assuming that? and about the 5th dimension thing, i guess I'm asking is it possible that photons cannot be measured because they do not originate with in the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th dimensions? from what I've read and you've stated they shouldn't exist but do. and by warps i mean warps causes an anomoly that eye's pickup as light. but once please forgive my lack of knowledge.

please forgive my lack of knowledge, if photons are massless and do carry momentum and can exert force then your getting something for nothing (this doens't include the source of the light)

What does "something for nothing" mean in this context, and why do you think anyone is getting it?

and about the 5th dimension thing, i guess I'm asking is it possible that photons cannot be measured because they do not originate with in the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th dimensions?

But photons can be measured.

from what I've read and you've stated they shouldn't exist but do.

Why shouldn't they exist? Who said something had to have mass to exist? Photons aren't matter, but they certainly exist and have physical properties, including energy, momentum, and angular momentum.

and by warps i mean warps causes an anomoly that eye's pickup as light.

Why so convoluted? The eye picks up light when a photon is absorbed. What purpose does introducing extra dimensions serve?

by something for nothing, if photons have no mass then how can a object with no mass have momentum, and exert force? which actually brings up another thought if photons(light) have no mass then how can they become trapped in a black hole?(ignore the last one)

and by measured i mean their weight i mean, the actual mass of a photon. and finally i don't know its late for me, and I'm tired.(22 hours and still going sluggishly.) it just doesn't seem right that something can exist without any physical properties. and why shouldn't there be anomolies that cause light instead of the direct assumption that light is photons being absorbed? i'll get back to you on it in say 12-20 hours.

ps i see where yer coming from but puting what I'm thinking into words is proving to be much harder than i had first anticipated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Unit_Zer0
by something for nothing, if photons have no mass then how can a object with no mass have momentum, and exert force?

Maybe if you explained why you think massless objects can't have momentum, we'd get somewhere. You keep making these statements about how things are impossible, but I don't know what your underlying assumptions are.

For instance, you may be using the non-relativistic equation,

[tex]p = mv[/tex]

instead of the relativistic

[tex]p = \sqrt{E^2-(mc^2)^2}/c[/tex]

which actually brings up another thought if photons(light) have no mass then how can they become trapped in a black hole?

The curvature of spacetime influences the motion of everything within spacetime, mass or not.

and by measured i mean their weight i mean, the actual mass of a photon.

Weight isn't mass; weight is force. Photons exert force, so in that sense you could say they have "weight": I calculated that quantity above.

it just doesn't seem right that something can exist without any physical properties.

What? I just listed several physical properties that photons have.

and why shouldn't there be anomolies that cause light instead of the direct assumption that light is photons being absorbed?

Well, you could assume that when we detect a photon in a photon detector, it's really just some convoluted extradimensional illusion that just makes it look like a photon is being detected ... but why, and what evidence supports this idea over the interpretation that you simply detected a photon?

Not really that silly a question can see how it is that u got confused, for i myself was also confused by that, couldn't get my head round how a particel with no mass could have momentum but eventually i did, so its not such a stupid question afterall.

Why did i bother typing that crap?

if it has wieght, doesent it have to have mass,

F=ma

where f is the weight due to gravity, a accelration, and mass...so if photons have no mass...how can it have a force

Originally posted by decibel
F=ma

where f is the weight due to gravity, a accelration, and mass...so if photons have no mass...how can it have a force

Newton originally defined force as F=dp/dt, where p is momentum. That definition still holds in relativity, but F=ma doesn't, because p=mv doesn't.

(And who said anything about weight due to gravity?)

1. What are higher dimensions and how do they relate to light?

Higher dimensions refer to dimensions beyond the three that we are familiar with (length, width, and height). In theory, there could be additional dimensions that are too small or too large for us to perceive. Some scientific theories suggest that light could be a product of interactions between these higher dimensions.

2. How does the concept of higher dimensions help explain the properties of light?

The idea of higher dimensions can help explain certain properties of light, such as its speed and ability to travel through space without a medium. In theory, light could be traveling through these higher dimensions, which would allow it to move at incredible speeds and not be affected by obstacles.

3. What evidence supports the idea of light being a product of higher dimensions?

Currently, there is no definitive evidence that supports the idea of light being a product of higher dimensions. However, some scientific theories, such as string theory, suggest that the interactions between particles in these higher dimensions could give rise to the properties of light that we observe.

4. How does the theory of higher dimensions impact our understanding of light and the universe?

The theory of higher dimensions challenges our traditional understanding of light and the universe. It suggests that there could be more to the universe than what we can perceive, and that light may be influenced by these hidden dimensions. Further research and experimentation in this area could potentially lead to new insights and discoveries about the nature of light and the universe.

5. Is it possible to prove or disprove the existence of higher dimensions and their relationship to light?

As of now, it is not possible to definitively prove or disprove the existence of higher dimensions and their relationship to light. The concept of higher dimensions is still largely theoretical and requires further research and experimentation. Scientists are constantly exploring new ways to test and validate these theories, but it may be some time before we have a definitive answer.