What is the SI unit for refractive index?

In summary, the SI unit for refractive index is undefined as it is a ratio of velocitys, so both units cancel out and the ratio is left. However, there are various expressions that can describe the refractive index, such as in brix percent. For a RI detector, the unit used is RIU or Refractive Units Index, which is the minimum detectable change in the refractive index of the surface where the evanescent wave is travelling.
kindaichi
I am doing my homework and i come across a question.

What is the SI unit for refractive index?All my revision books did not have the answer.Or perhaps the book is wrong by any chance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering that the index of refraction is defined as a ratio of velocitys, What units MUST it have? What are the units of ANYthing defined as a ratio?

Integral said:
Considering that the index of refraction is defined as a ratio of velocitys, What units MUST it have? What are the units of ANYthing defined as a ratio?

Hhmm.....no units?Sorry,i am a bit blur here.

hi kindaichi... for you info, refractive index have no si units, since from the definition refractive index is the ratio of velocity of light in a material divided with velocity of light in vacuum. this is what is meant by "integral". as it is a ratio between velocity of light in material vs velocity of light in vacuum, both unit for the velosity was canceled out and the only thing left is the number which indicates the ratio. and that ratio is the refractive index. but there are a lot of expression can described the refractive index. for example in brix percent. the expression is depend on the application.

Just adding on what's been said.

When I see these unit problem, I tend to look at the equations. For example, F = ma..even if I don't know the unit for force..I can derive it.

kg *m/s^2 is the equiv. of ma...so I know the unit for force must be kg m/s^2 (which we simplify and call it Newton, but both are correct).

Try that next time

Integral said:

For a RI detector, Refractive Index Range: 1 - 1.75 RIU...what RIU mean?

RIU: Refractive Units Index. It is used in optical biosensing, for evanescent wave sensors (optical waveguides, ring resonators, interferometers, surface plasmon resonance). It is the minimun detectable change in the refractive index of the surface where the evanescent wave is travelling.

1. What is the SI unit for refractive index?

The SI unit for refractive index is meters per meter (m/m) or simply the number 1. This unit is dimensionless and is used to measure the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a given medium.

2. Why is the SI unit for refractive index dimensionless?

The SI unit for refractive index is dimensionless because it is a ratio of two distances, both of which are measured in meters. Therefore, the unit cancels out, leaving just a number as the unit of measurement.

3. How is the SI unit for refractive index related to the speed of light?

The SI unit for refractive index is related to the speed of light because it measures the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in a given medium. This ratio is also known as the refractive index and is a fundamental property of a medium that affects the speed of light passing through it.

4. Can the SI unit for refractive index be negative?

No, the SI unit for refractive index cannot be negative. The refractive index is always a positive number because it is a ratio of two distances. It describes the bending of light as it passes through a medium, and a negative value would not make physical sense.

5. Is the SI unit for refractive index the same for all materials?

No, the SI unit for refractive index is not the same for all materials. The refractive index varies from material to material and can even vary within the same material depending on factors such as temperature, pressure, and wavelength of light. Therefore, the unit of measurement for refractive index may differ for different materials.