Help What's Going On with Beta?

• Thread starter Robert Mak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beta
In summary: Well I am in the first (university) year, so i met a girl called "beta". So i introduced myself to beta and we talked like 1 hour and she laugh, etc. so we had a good conversation.And in the next days, we crossed sometimes in the path, and she just go away without saying nothing. WTF is that...So i had the courage again to go and talk to her again, so when i talked to her she just talk, but not seeing my eyes...What should i do?her behaviour is a shy girl, likes to study, silent in the class, and in the class she only had 1 friend.I need help quicky
Mk said:
Oh, stop picking on him, will you?

Somewhere in my blablabla, there was a point he should have picked up on. Just becuase your talking to a girl and having a good time with her does NOT mean she wants to go out with you If you think every girl you have a good conversation with has the hots for you, be prepared for a LOT of rejection.

See, I am not that big of a jerk...o:)

Anyways, he's 18, not 8. I was plenty nice about it. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would tell him not to ask her out. Instead, I would say go hang out and make friends with more people so you become comfortable around people. You don't need courage to talk to someone, you just talk to them. If they don't want to talk, you walk away and leave them alone. Its really that simple.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i had talked more to "beta", she told me that, her boyfriend was too jealous so she leave him. And she's a beautiful and intelligent girl (i give to her 8-10), cause she's not the typical girls, she study math all the day, and she likes to study...
Now i have talked to her more, and she became a little shy and me too.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Somewhere in my blablabla, there was a point he should have picked up on. Just becuase your talking to a girl and having a good time with her does NOT mean she wants to go out with you If you think every girl you have a good conversation with has the hots for you, be prepared for a LOT of rejection.

See, I am not that big of a jerk...o:)

Anyways, he's 18, not 8. I was plenty nice about it. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I would tell him not to ask her out. Instead, I would say go hang out and make friends with more people so you become comfortable around people. You don't need courage to talk to someone, you just talk to them. If they don't want to talk, you walk away and leave them alone. Its really that simple.
Makes perfect sense to me. People in general tend to gravitate toward confident people. They run away from the nervous, insecure puppy dog types that follow them around and continually solicit their attention. No odor is more offensive than the reek of desperation.

Robert Mak said:
i had talked more to "beta", she told me that, her boyfriend was too jealous so she leave him. And she's a beautiful and intelligent girl (i give to her 8-10), cause she's not the typical girls, she study math all the day, and she likes to study...

I wonder what she would think of you if she knew you had given her a "score". I thought you liked this girl, but you rate her like she's freakin' livestock.:grumpy: I guess things are different in Guatemala.

MIH, your a 10 :!)

Robert Mak said:

Have you not had your fill of Hollywood movies where he likes her but thinks she's snubbing her, while she likes him but thinks he's snubbing her and it was all due to a misunderstanding that would have gone away if either of them had had the guts to say something, but it took them two hours to figure that out?

Speak to her. What's the worst that could happen?

Math Is Hard said:
I wonder what she would think of you if she knew you had given her a "score". I thought you liked this girl, but you rate her like she's freakin' livestock.:grumpy: I guess things are different in Guatemala.

You make it sound like a bad thing.

I've told girls I do. And I told my girlfriend I do too. Some even ask me what their score is, but usually they want to know what a 10 is. A 10 is rare. Very rare.

I don't see the problem unless the girl is very insecure.

JasonRox said:
You make it sound like a bad thing.

I've told girls I do. And I told my girlfriend I do too. Some even ask me what their score is, but usually they want to know what a 10 is. A 10 is rare. Very rare.

I don't see the problem unless the girl is very insecure.

I hope Jason gives me a 10 :!) :!) or ill just be devistated! :cry:

Oh, I don't know if I'd be very happy if some guy slapped a number on my rump. :devil:

Ok, OK, fine. No number. Just a slap in the rump.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Ok, OK, fine. No number. Just a slap in the rump.
I want a crabcake afterwards.

Evo said:
Oh, I don't know if I'd be very happy if some guy slapped a number on my rump. :devil:
Really? Even if it were a 10? :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
I guess things are different in Guatemala.
"I had a virgin once. I had to go to Guatamala for her. She was blind in one eye, and she had a stuffed alligator that said 'Welcome to Miami Beach'."
- obscure movie reference (2 full points if you get it)

Evo said:
I want a crabcake afterwards.

I think you should get the crabcake in advance.

Man! This is the funniest thread yet! You know, we got to help this guy out. I mean, geeks not being able to talk to girls properly, does NOT help our image out.
Just ask her out man, whatever happens, happens. Take some risk once in your life!
OR you can regret NOT taking the shot for a long time to come. Atleast if you get shot down, you can say you tried. Else youre going to keep on wondering "What if...?"
Heck, a coffee can't cost that much, though I know money in college is scarce :D

For me, the problem was that I didn't really want to ask them out. I mean, I wanted to but I didn't. I think half the problem is deciding what one wants.

chaoseverlasting said:
Man! This is the funniest thread yet! You know...:D

lol, i don't want to ask her out, because she study all the day (lol). And with that argument, I am afraid that she would reject.

I hope girls know that every single guy I have ever known has ranked some girl with a number at some point. It's nothing degrading at all. It's identical to a girl saying "he's cute", or "that guy's hot", or whatever.

BTW: I define my 10 to be the most attractive looking girl I've ever seen in my life. So my definition of 10 does sometimes change... My scale is also on an exponential scale. A girl with a 5 is attractive. A girl with a 6 is quite easy on the eyes. A 7 means the girl is hotttt. An 8 is like a WOAH and are rather rare. A 9 is extremely rare and these are generally the hottest girls you see. A 10 is THE hottest girl you've ever seen in your life.

I kinda wonder how other guys' systems work.

Why are girls offended by a number? It's the same as saying the phrase associated with it. In my system, intelligence and personality affects it quite a bit. I would never give a girl a 10 without knowing her.

Last edited:
lol, kids and their numbering system. Cute.

I don't rate women with numbers. Not because its disrepectful, but because I find it stupid and pointless. Ok, so you give her a 7, now what. What the hell does it matter?

Robert Mak said:
lol, i don't want to ask her out, because she study all the day (lol). And with that argument, I am afraid that she would reject.

Why would it matter if she rejects you?

You want to date her right? The only way to get a date with her is to ask, and if she rejects your offer, then nothing is changed. (As long as you don't take it too hard or something).

A rejection should not be viewed as a bad thing in my oppinion, it just simply means that she is not interested in you, and then you know, and you can move on.

Does the girls are impressioned with the intelligence?
She study mathematics all the day, but I am better than her...

Robert Mak said:
Women, forgive my presumption for speaking for you but,

it is my impression that women are impressed by authenticity, and turned off by posturing.

The answer to your question is no.

Be yourself above all else.

Last edited:
Robert Mak said:

Yes, rub it in her face an do a "im better than you at math dance"

DaveC426913 said:
Women, forgive my presumption for speaking for you but,

it is my impression that women are impressed by authenticity, and turned off by posturing.

The answer to your question is no.

Be yourself above all else.

:biggrin: You're officially allowed to speak on our behalf.

And, I just can't see how that would work at all..."You study all the time for math, but I'm still doing better than you in the class. Wanna go out?" :rofl: Robert, do you have a death wish? Because, unless you want to take a calculus text to the back of the head, I suggest you avoid that approach.

I'm confused by this whole thread...she's friendly but shy, you want to go out with her, but she had a boyfriend and doesn't now, and she studies all the time, so you don't want to go out with her, but you are still doing better in the class than her and you want to know if that would impress her so you can go out with her. :confused:

I suggest figuring out what you really want first. Do you or do you not want to go out with her? And if so, why? Is it because you find her pretty, or interesting, or because she's being a bit elusive and you just want the challenge, but then will lose interest as soon as she says yes?

I'm laughing at all the rationalizations for number systems above too. :rofl: Moose, I think you've put WAY too much effort into defining the various categories. With any more factors added in, you'll need to enter all the variables into a computer so it can spit out a number for you. It can all be so much simpler with just a binary system: 0=not interested and 1=interested. :biggrin: You can skip the numbers even. :biggrin: What does the rest matter? If you meet a 7, are you going to tell her she's gone the moment a 7.5 comes along?

moose said:
I hope girls know that every single guy I have ever known has ranked some girl with a number at some point. It's nothing degrading at all. It's identical to a girl saying "he's cute", or "that guy's hot", or whatever.

BTW: I define my 10 to be the most attractive looking girl I've ever seen in my life. So my definition of 10 does sometimes change... My scale is also on an exponential scale. A girl with a 5 is attractive. A girl with a 6 is quite easy on the eyes. A 7 means the girl is hotttt. An 8 is like a WOAH and are rather rare. A 9 is extremely rare and these are generally the hottest girls you see. A 10 is THE hottest girl you've ever seen in your life.

I kinda wonder how other guys' systems work.

Why are girls offended by a number? It's the same as saying the phrase associated with it. In my system, intelligence and personality affects it quite a bit. I would never give a girl a 10 without knowing her.

Mine is completely different!

A 5 is something I wouldn't touch. The guys I talk to all seem to have a similar system. Although there are disagreements because some people are attracted to different people, but in the end, if a guy says 8 or above, I know it's good for any guy.

Yeah, 5 isn't attractive. I'd say the attractiveness begins at 7. And it seems as though 6 is average. So, like 5 is below average.

Sounds bad, but I know girls to the same thing. Maybe not with numbers, but they certainly do something simliar. :tongue:

What's 2 on your scale?
I don't dare ask what's 1...

moose said:

I don't agree with the numbering system, unless it applies to bra size. o:) :biggrin:

radou said:
I don't agree with the numbering system, unless it applies to bra size. o:) :biggrin:

I don't dare ask what 1 means for bra size too.:shy: :tongue2:

radou said:
I don't agree with the numbering system
You've really never rated a girl using a numbering system?

unless it applies to bra size. o:) :biggrin:

Well, I suppose that's as good a numbering system as any! :wink:

tehno said:
I don't dare ask what 1 means for bra size too.:shy: :tongue2:

As a matter of fact, me neither. :tongue2: :wink:

cristo said:
You've really never rated a girl using a numbering system?

I didn't say that. :smile:

radou said:
I didn't say that. :smile:

:rofl: Ahh, I see, you just don't agree with it!:tongue2:

Well if ordinary guys quite sometimes use such numbering for girls ,can you imagine what male mathematicians do?:rofl: :uhh:

Shy girls are very secretive usually b/c they have something to hide or are just very to themselves, so they need some one to open up to, take her out on a date, and be as charming as you can so she'll open up to you, and once that happens, you got her. =]

tehno said:
Well if ordinary guys quite sometimes use such numbering for girls ,can you imagine what male mathematicians do?:rofl: :uhh:

Probably the same thing. :biggrin:

<h2>1. What is Beta and why is it important?</h2><p>Beta is a measure of a stock's volatility or risk compared to the overall market. It is important because it helps investors understand the potential risks associated with a particular stock.</p><h2>2. How is Beta calculated?</h2><p>Beta is calculated by comparing the returns of a stock to the returns of the overall market. A beta of 1 indicates that the stock's returns are in line with the market, while a beta greater than 1 indicates higher volatility and a beta less than 1 indicates lower volatility.</p><h2>3. What does a high or low Beta mean for a stock?</h2><p>A high beta means that the stock is more volatile and risky, while a low beta means that the stock is less volatile and less risky. This can impact an investor's decision to buy or sell a stock, as a high beta stock may have the potential for higher returns but also carries a higher risk of loss.</p><h2>4. Why does Beta change over time?</h2><p>Beta can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the company's financial performance, market conditions, and investor sentiment. A company's beta can also change as it grows and evolves, which can affect its risk profile.</p><h2>5. How can Beta be used in investment decisions?</h2><p>Beta can be used as a tool to help investors make informed decisions about their portfolio. It can be used to diversify a portfolio by including stocks with different betas to balance out risk. It can also be used to assess the potential risk and return of a particular stock before making an investment decision.</p>

1. What is Beta and why is it important?

Beta is a measure of a stock's volatility or risk compared to the overall market. It is important because it helps investors understand the potential risks associated with a particular stock.

2. How is Beta calculated?

Beta is calculated by comparing the returns of a stock to the returns of the overall market. A beta of 1 indicates that the stock's returns are in line with the market, while a beta greater than 1 indicates higher volatility and a beta less than 1 indicates lower volatility.

3. What does a high or low Beta mean for a stock?

A high beta means that the stock is more volatile and risky, while a low beta means that the stock is less volatile and less risky. This can impact an investor's decision to buy or sell a stock, as a high beta stock may have the potential for higher returns but also carries a higher risk of loss.

4. Why does Beta change over time?

Beta can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the company's financial performance, market conditions, and investor sentiment. A company's beta can also change as it grows and evolves, which can affect its risk profile.

5. How can Beta be used in investment decisions?

Beta can be used as a tool to help investors make informed decisions about their portfolio. It can be used to diversify a portfolio by including stocks with different betas to balance out risk. It can also be used to assess the potential risk and return of a particular stock before making an investment decision.