TI-89 Titanium Help: Solve Logarithmic Problems Easily

In summary, to find a root of x on a TI-89 Titanium, use the zeros() function or the solve() function. To find the logarithm of a number with a specific base, use ln(number)/ln(base). Alternatively, you can use the log() function in the format log(number, base). If you have an app like Omnicalc, you can use the comma for a quicker change of base. To access the log function on a TI-89 Titanium, press the yellow Diamond button and then 7. If you want to solve an equation involving a logarithm, use the solve() function in the format solve(log(expression,variable)=value,variable).
RaNe
Hi,

I'm working out some problems on my TI-89 Titanium, and I've run into a roadblock.

How do I put a base for a log?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
ln(thing you want the log of) / ln(base of the log)

As far as I know, that's the only way to do it on a TI. but it's not hard.

That's the way I do it; just the standard log change of base formula. So ln(2) is just the log of 2, and ln(2)/ln(10) is log of 2, base 10. You can also see that ln(2)/ln(e), the base e log which is the natural log, will be just ln(2) since ln(e) evaluates to 1.

I borrow this thread a little if its okey..
I got a problem with mine TI-89.
Whay I want to calculate a root i press "diamond + 9 + x + , + y + enter" which should give me x^1/y. But all i get is what i just pressed, i.e. the answer i get is root(x,y). :confused:
Please help me.

To find a root of x, use the zeros() function. Type zeros(expression,variable), or, alternatively, solve(equation,variable), when the equation is the same expression but set to zero, and the variable is x.

zeros(4x^2+3x+5,x) or solve(4x^2+3x+5=0,x) returns the roots.

Okey, but do you know where the problem for the root function could lie?
Could it be any setting?

EDIT: The problem was that I had changed languege... It now works again.

Last edited:
another way to do log is to log(number, base)

kevinf said:

That doesn't work for me.

I think he has one of those Apps like Omnicalc to upgrade the features kind of. That's also one way you can do it, just with a comma. Change of base requires a little more typing.

if you press the yellow Diamond button and then press 7 then log will show up. much less typing for all you lazy people like me

kevinf said:

i.e. solve(log(x,8)=2/3,x)

x=4

What is the TI-89 Titanium calculator?

The TI-89 Titanium is a graphing calculator designed and manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is a powerful calculator that can be used for various mathematical calculations, including solving logarithmic problems.

How do I access the logarithm functions on the TI-89 Titanium?

To access the logarithm functions on the TI-89 Titanium, press the "2nd" key followed by the "LN" key for natural logarithms or the "LOG" key for base 10 logarithms. You can also use the "math" menu to access other logarithm functions.

Can the TI-89 Titanium solve logarithmic equations?

Yes, the TI-89 Titanium can solve logarithmic equations. You can use the "solve" function or the "solve(" command, followed by the equation in parentheses, to find the solution to a logarithmic equation.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and base 10 logarithms?

Natural logarithms, denoted by "ln," are logarithms with a base of e, which is approximately equal to 2.71828. Base 10 logarithms, denoted by "log," have a base of 10. The main difference between them is the base used in the calculation, but they can be used interchangeably in most cases.

Can the TI-89 Titanium simplify logarithmic expressions?

Yes, the TI-89 Titanium can simplify logarithmic expressions using the "simplify(" command. This function simplifies expressions by combining logarithms with the same base and using logarithmic rules to simplify further.